Griffith Building in 2014
|Location||605-607 Broad Street, Newark, New Jersey|
|Area||0.3 acres (0.12 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||84002641|
|Added to NRHP||May 24, 1984|
|Designated NJRHP||April 17, 1984|
The Griffith Building is located in Newark, in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. The building was built in 1927 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 24, 1984. The building is 15 story's and 64.01 m (210.0 ft) tall. The Griffith Piano Company erected the building as a showroom, workshop, office tower and recital auditorium. Under the direction of Mrs. Parker O. Griffith, a foundation supported by the company was responsible for the direction, support, and programming at Newark Symphony Hall.
There have been plans to convert the building along with the adjacent Hahne and Company flagship store into condo loft apartments. A joint venture called HG Jetson between the Berger Organization and Cogswell Realty Group will be converting the buildings. Along with the planned One Theater Square, and the completed Eleven 80, the restoration will significantly increase the residential population of Downtown Newark, particularly around Military Park.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, New Jersey
- List of tallest buildings in Newark
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Essex County" (PDF). NJ DEP - Historic Preservation Office. January 10, 2010. p. 3. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 27, 2009. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- "Griffith Building". Emporis.
- DePalma, Anthony (June 12, 1983). "OUTSIDER SHOWS FAITH IN NEWARK". The New York Times. Retrieved July 22, 2010.
- https://www.newarksymphonyhall.org/about-main.shtml Newark Symphony Hall website
- Sills, JoAnne (November 23, 2008). "Newark's forgotten music center". Newark Star Ledger. Retrieved 2010-09-11.
- "NYC developers crossing the river to Newark". The Real Deal. Retrieved July 22, 2010.
- "Hahnes Griffith Buildings". Berger Organization. Retrieved July 29, 2010.