Guifi.net is a free, open and neutral, mostly wireless telecommunications community network, with over 27,000 active nodes and about 36,465 km of wireless links. The majority of these nodes are located in Catalonia and the Valencian Community, in Spain, but the network is growing in other parts of the world. It is probably the largest community network in the world. The network is self-organized and operated by the users using unlicensed wireless links and open optical fibre links.
The nodes of the network are contributed by individuals, companies and administrations that freely connect to a true open network of telecommunications and extend the network wherever the infrastructure and content might not otherwise be accessible. Nodes join the network following the self-provision model since the whole structure is explicitly open to facilitate understanding how it is structured, so that everyone can create new sections as required.
Guifi.net is supported by the Guifi.net Foundation, which has been registered as an operator with the Spanish Telecommunications Market Commission (CMT) since in April 2009. In August 2009, the first deployment of optical fiber was started, known as the Fiber From The Farms (FFTF) Broadband Initiative, covering about 2 km and linking dozens of farms and farmhouses in the town of Gurb.
Since early 2011, guifi.net is connected to the Catalonia Neutral Internet Exchange Point (CATNIX), which exchanges data with other international telecommunications operators such as Cogent Communications and Hurricane Electric. This Internet connection is used by several associations that offer their members Internet access to low-cost at high speeds, which currently do not offer other Internet service providers.
- "guifi.net World - guifi.net". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Comunicaciones Electrónicas - CNMC - Comisión Nacional de los Mercados y la Competencia". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "My big idea for the Digital Agenda". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "RIS Tools and Web Interfaces". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "guifi.net connects to CATNIX". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- guifi.net + EXO
- http://guifi.net/en/WCL_EN - The Wireless Commons License
- "Error:". Retrieved 26 November 2015.