Guilford (Shore Line East station)
Westbound Shore Line East train at Guilford in 2015
|Location||325 Old Whitfield Street
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Rebuilt||November 28, 2005|
|Electrified||25,000V (AC) overhead catenary|
Guilford is a regional rail station on the Northeast Corridor, located slightly south of the town center of Guilford, Connecticut. Owned by the Connecticut Department of Transportation, it is served by the Shore Line East service.
Service to Guilford was begun by the New Haven and New London Railroad in 1852. Most local service ended in the mid 20th century; however, Guilford was a stop on the final local train, the Clamdigger, until its 1972 discontinuance. The station building was demolished by Amtrak on February 23, 2000, due to concerns that the long-abandoned building might collapse. A derelict brick water tower and engine house - rare surviving examples of mid-19th-century railroad buildings - remain at the site.
Ridership increases have rendered the parking lot at Guilford insufficient. 90 spaces were added on the track 1 side of the Guilford station
Guilford Center was not the only part of Guilford with a train station. Leete's Island station, located off Route 146 near the Branford line, served the Penn Central and later Amtrak Clamdigger service until 1972. Sachem's Head station, which was also located off Route 146 closer to Guilford Center, was closed in 1969.
- National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) (July 12, 1971). "Nationwide Schedules of Intercity Passenger Service". p. 6 – via The Museum of Railway Timetables.
- Baer, Christopher T. (June 2005). "PRR CHRONOLOGY: 1972" (PDF). Pennsylvania Technical and Historical Society. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 25, 2012.
- "News Updates, as of June 30, 2000". Shore Line East Riders' Association. June 30, 2000. Archived from the original on April 20, 2016.
- "Shore Line East/What's New". October 1, 2008. Archived from the original on October 1, 2008. Retrieved January 21, 2016.
- "Parking Problems". Railpace Newsmagazine. August 2008.
Media related to Guilford (Shore Line East station) at Wikimedia Commons