September 2, 1903|
|Died||January 19, 2001
Although essentially self-taught (he left school at the age of thirteen), Thibon was an avid reader – especially of poetry, in French, Provençal and Latin. He was very impressed by the First World War, which led him to hate patriotism and democracy. The young Gustave Thibon travelled extensively, at first to London and Italy, and later to North Africa, where he served in the military, before returning to his native village at the age of 23. Under the influence of writers such as Léon Bloy and Jacques Maritain he converted to Catholicism. At the invitation of the latter, he started his literary career in the pages of the Revue Thomiste.
- Balla, Borisz de (1953). "The World of Gustave Thibon," The Catholic World, Vol. 177, No. 1062, pp. 432–439.
- "Nomination Database". www.nobelprize.org. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- Sutermeister, Wesley (2014). "Gustave Thibon and Human Freedom," Obsculta, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 49–59.
- Tomlin, E. W. F. (1954). Simone Weil. Cambridge: Bowes & Bowes.
- English translation, What Ails Mankind? An Essay on Social Physiology, by Willard Hill, Sheed & Ward, New York, 1947.
- English translation, Back to Reality, by A. Gordon Smith, Hollis & Carter, London 1955.
- English translation, What God has Joined Together, by A. Gordon Smith, Hollis & Carter, London 1952.
- English translation, Love at the Crossroads, by Reginald F. Trevott, Burns & Oates, London 1964.
- Chabanis, Christian (1967). Gustave Thibon: Témoin de la Lumière. Paris: Beauchesne.
- Fraigneux, Maurice (1947). Introduction à Gustave Thibon. Paris: Pascal.
- Lemaire, Benoît (1980). L'Espérance sans Illusions. L'Espérance Chrétienne dans la Perspective de Gustave Thibon. Montréal: Éd. Paulines.
- Lemaire, Benoît (1984). "La Liberté au Centre du Conflit entre l'Esprit et la Vie." In: De la Philosophie comme Passion de la Liberté: Hommage à Alexis Klimov. Québec: Éditions du Beffroi, pp. 283–305.
- Massis, Henri (1967). Au Long d'une Vie. Le Message de Gustave Thibon. Paris: Plon.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gustave Thibon.|