A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Employee owned corporation|
|Industry||Engineering & Architecture|
|Founded||Kansas City, Missouri,
(as Harrington, Howard & Ash)
|Headquarters||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Robert Slimp, Chairman President and CEO of HNTB Holdings, Ltd.|
HNTB Corporation is an architecture, civil engineering consulting and construction management firm that was founded in 1914. The firm has numerous offices across the United States, and has designed many roadways, airports, bridges, tunnels, sports stadiums, and rail and transit systems across the United States and around the world.
In 1975, it merged with Kivett and Myers to form a sports architecture practice.
In 1982, it acquired the rail firm of Thomas K. Dyer adding track, signal, communications and traction power to its portfolio, thus positioning the firm to serve the rail industry.
In 1993, it formally changed its name to HNTB Corporation.
In 2000 the firm became employee-owned.
The firm provides infrastructure services in the following areas.
Laddie Irion is currently HNTB's national aviation market sector leader.
In 2014, Airport Business Magazine recognized two of the company's aviation experts, James Long PE and Jennie Santoro, with a "Top 40 Under 40" award. In 2015, HNTB's Clint Laaser, RA, LEED AP, received the same recognition. The annual award by the magazine recognizes 40 aviation industry professionals under the age of 40 for their academic, professional and community achievements.
HNTB's aviation projects have earned several awards. The firm created the conceptual design for the 221-foot-tall air traffic control tower at San Francisco International Airport. In 2016, the facility earned a Grand Conceptor Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies. HNTB was lead architect and performed initial planning and engineering services on the San Diego International Terminal 2 expansion project. In 2014, the project earned a Best of the Best Projects award from Engineering News-Record in the Airport/Transit category.
The firm also supports mentoring programs for young professionals in the aviation market.
In 2016, the National Steel Bridge Alliance gave HNTB awards for several bridge projects. These included the South Park Bascule Bridge in Seattle; the Portsmouth Memorial Bridge between New Hampshire and Maine; the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge in St. Louis; and the Falls Flyover Ramp in Wichita, Kansas.
HNTB serves as owner's engineer for the New York State Thruway Authority on the New NY Bridge project, which replaces the Tappan Zee Bridge over the Hudson River in New York. The new bridge is called the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge.
HNTB was project oversight representative for the Florida Department of Transportation on the Sisters Creek Bridge replacement in Jacksonville, Florida. In 2017, the project earned a National Awards of Merit in the Transportation category from the Design-Build Institute of America.
HNTB led the final design for the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge in Boston.
The company won an award for the repair of the John E. Mathews Bridge after it was severely damaged by a ship impact in September 2013.
HNTB serves, and has previously served, on a variety of projects for state departments of transportation across the U.S. The firm's DOT work has included construction engineering and inspection services on the I-595 Express Corridor Improvements Project for the Florida Department of Transportation, the Johnson County Gateway Interchange for the Kansas Department of Transportation, and program management consultant serfvices on the U.S. 290 Corridor rebuild for the Texas Department of Transportation.
Additionally, the firm has served on the I-94 reconstruction for the Michigan Department of Transportation, the Milwaukee Zoo Interchange for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, and the Poplar Street Bridge project for the Missouri Department of Transportation.
Intelligent Transportation Systems
HNTB's intelligent transportation systems projects have included system design and maintenance and operations services for a smart truck parking system in Michigan  and the Tampa Bay SunGuide Center.
In 2017, HNTB conducted a survey, known as an America THINKS survey, that polled Americans about their views of where funds for transportation infrastructure should come from and what entities are responsible for constructing and sustaining the country's transportation system. The survey found 70 percent of Americans would be willing to support increases in tolls and taxes to fund infrastructure. Results were generated from a sample of 1,027 Americans, all over the age of 18, from July 14–16, 2017.
HNTB supported the Florida Department of Transportation to complete I-595 Corridor Roadway Improvements in Broward County, Florida, which reached substantial completion in 2014.
Kimberly Slaughter is HNTB's transit/rail market sector leader.
The company is a supporter of high-speed rail projects.
HNTB provided several services on the Chicago Transit Authority Red Line Wilson Station Reconstruction Project in Chicago, including train control, communications, mechanical, architectural, environmental mitigation support and structural. The project was completed in 2017.
HNTB won the 2017 Bronze Engineering Excellence Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts for its work supporting the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority on the Fitchburg Commuter Rail Improvement Program.
The company is a supporter of high-speed rail projects.
Sanja Zlatanic, PE, is tunnel practice chair for HNTB.
HNTB was lead designer for the SR99 Tunnel Project in Seattle. The tunnel was completed in 2017  and road work inside the tunnel is still underway, and the tunnel is scheduled to open in 2019.
HNTB was the independent design verifier for the Istanbul Strait Crossing tunnel in Turkey. The tunnel, also known as the Eurasia Tunnel, established a connection between the European and Asian sides of the city, and opened in 2016. The project won a 2016 Global Best Project award from Engineering News-Record, and engineering industry publication, in the Bridge/Tunnel category.
HNTB's architecture projects have included Levi's Stadium in San Francisco, home of the San Francisco 49ers, completed in 2014; the Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower Airport terminal, which opened in 2015; an expansion of Kroger Field at the University of Kentucky; Camping World Stadium reconstruction in Orlando in 2014; and Bartle Hall Convention Center Ballroom Expansion in 2007.
In 2015, the company was ranked No. 3 on a list for the World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies of 2015 for its design of Levi's Stadium.
Ashley Booth, HNTB's national streetcar practice leader, was named to Mass Transit Magazine's Top 40 Under 40 2017 list.
Tim Faerber, PE, a senior vice president at HNTB, received ENR Midwest's Legacy Award in 2017. Faerber was the fourth person to win the award. During his career, he has led HNTB's Illinois operations and was Great Lakes Division president from 2010 to 2013.
Diana Mendes, HNTB's transit/rail market sector leader, Mid-Atlantic Division president and senior vice president, was awarded the 2017 Training Professional of the Year Award by the National Transit Institute.
In 2006, the American Public Works Association named the High Five Interchange as the "Public Works Project of the Year" for its massive size, its innovative design, the complexity and rapidity of its construction and the need it fulfilled for the community. HNTB Corporation received the award as the primary consultant, along with the Texas Department of Transportation as the managing agency and Zachry Construction Corporation as the primary contractor. The award was in recognition of their cooperative alliance in completing the project.
- "Company Overview of HNTB Corporation". www.Bloomberg.com. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "AviationPros: HNTB's Laddie Irion Elected to Chair the Board of Directors for ACI-NA World Business Partners/Associates".
- Garrett, Ronnie (December 3, 2014). "Top 40 Under 40: James Long". AviationPros.com.
- Garrett, Ronnie (December 3, 2014). "40 Under 40: Jennie Santoro". AviationPros.com.
- "San Francisco International Airport: New Control Tower at SFO Honored as Top Engineering Project in America".
- "La Jolla Patch: Engineering News-Record recognizes HNTB-designed terminal expansion as national Best of the Best Projects winner for 2014".
- "Orlando Business Journal: Architect named for Orlando airport's new $1.8B south terminal".
- "Airport Improvement: Orlando International Airport South Terminal C Design Wins National Architecture Award".
- "AviationPros: The Role of Mentoring in the Aviation Industry".
- "University of Missouri".
- "Case Study: Memorial Bridge".
- "InformedInfrastructure: HNTB Earns Top Industry Awards from National Steel Bridge Alliance".
- "University at Buffalo Institute of Bridge Engineering".
- "The New York Times: New York's Tappan Zee Bridge Re-Opens to Rave Reviews".
- "Florida Construction News: Sisters Creek Bridge opens to traffic; team completes significant milestone in delivery of replacement project for FDOT".
- "Design-Build Institute of America".
- "Structure Magazine: A Boon for Beantown" (PDF).
- "HNTB-led Mathews Bridge repair earns multiple awards". Civil + Structural Engineer (www.cenews.com).
- "Federal Highway Administration: Project Profile: I-595 Corridor Roadway Improvements". https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ipd/project_profiles/fl_i595.aspx. External link in
- "Road Traffic Technology: Johnson County Gateway Interchange Project, Kansas". http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/johnson-county-gateway-interchange-project-kansas/. External link in
- "ENR Texas & Louisiana: Design Firm of the Year: HNTB Corp". https://www.enr.com/articles/12630-design-firm-of-the-year-hntb-corp. External link in
- "Detroit Free Press: I-94 reconstruction focuses on connection". https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2016/11/16/i94-reconstruction-connection-bridges/93971454/. External link in
- "Roads & Bridges: Stronger every day". https://www.roadsbridges.com/stronger-every-day. External link in
- "Construction Equipment Guide.com: MoDOT Project to Improve Traffic in St. Louis". https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/modot-project-to-improve-traffic-in-st-louis/35763. External link in
- "International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association".
- "FleetOwner: Case Study: Michigan pilot assesses truck parking availability".
- "Roads & Bridges magazine: HNTB opens new ITS integration facility".
- "ITSdigest: ITS in Action: A Look Inside the Tampa Connected Vehicle Pilot".
- "FleetOwner: Tackling truck parking: The Sunshine State's solution".
- "Fortune: Most Americans Would Increase Taxes and Tolls to Fund Roads".
- "Equipment World's Better Roads: New survey says majority of Americans support usage fees to fix crumbling roads".
- "BusinessWest.com: Most Americans Would Pay More to Rebuild Infrastructure".
- "Federal Highway Administration".
- "Houston Business Journal: Kimberly Slaughter". Houston Business Journal.
- "ENR California: BART to Celebrate Opening of New Warm Springs / South Fremont Station".
- "Railway Age: Design team picked for DART Blue Line work".
- "IndyGo: IFB 17-07-264 Red Line Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Phase 1".
- "Mass Transit Magazine: HNTB Hires Positive Train Control Expert Francesco Cantatore".
- "QLINE Detroit".
- Gertler, Peter (January 2013). "High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB". www.ProgressiveRailroading.com.
- "AutoDesk: HNTB – Chicago Wilson Station Project – Point Cloud".
- "Curbed Chicago: New Wilson CTA station officially opens in Uptown".
- "Railway Age: Design team picked for DART Blue Line work".
- "DART: South Oak Cliff Corridor Blue Line Extension".
- "Boston citybizlist: ACEC/MA Announces HNTB Corp. as 2017 winner of Bronze Engineering Excellence Award".
- "Progressive Railroading: High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB".
- "RT&S: HNTB names Zlatanic chair, national tunnel practice".
- "Construction Equipment Guide.com: Seattle's SR 99 Alaskan Way Tunnel Progresses".
- "Washington State Department of Transportation".
- "The Seattle Times: Inside the Highway 99 tunnel: Bertha's done digging, but the roadway work rolls on".
- "Tunneling Journal: HNTB scoops Istanbul Strait Crossing tunnel in Turkey".
- "Daily Sabah Istanbul: Eurasia Tunnel opens today to ease Istanbul's traffic congestion".
- "ENR: ENR Announces 2016 Global Best Projects Winners".
- "Levi's Stadium". Architect Magazine.
- "Wallbridge: Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower International Airport".
- "University of Kentucky".
- "Camping World Stadium".
- "Stadium Design Firm, HNTB named to "World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies of 2015 in Live Events"". www.LevisStadium.com. Levi's® Stadium. February 18, 2015.
- "Mass Transit Magazine: Top 40 Under 40 2017: Ashley Frederick Booth".
- "ENRMidwest: HNTB's Tim Faerber Named ENR Midwest's Legacy Winner".
- "HNTB's Diana Mendes Named Chair of APTA Legislative Committee and Member of APTA's Executive Committee".
- "Mass Transit Magazine: HNTB's Diana Mendes Wins 2017 Training Professional of the Year Award from the National Transit Institute".
- Press release (June 6, 2006). "Dallas High Five Interchange honored as Public Works Project of the Year" (PDF). American Public Works Association. Retrieved January 5, 2012.