حیدر قر یشی
1 September 1953 |
Rabwah, Chiniot District, Pakistan
|Known for||Work in Urdu mahiya|
Haider Qureshi (Urdu: حیدر قر یشی ), born Qureshi Ghulam Haider Arshad (Urdu: قر یشی غلا م حیدر ارشد ) on 1 September 1953 (according to family,13 January 1952), in Rabwah, Punjab, is a Pakistani Urdu poet, writer and journalist. His poetry is a rich colours of traditional Urdu and the local lingo. He is also the researcher of "mahiya" on correct metre poetry methods. He has written several poetry and prose books and many articles.
Qureshi was born in Rabwah, Chiniot District, Punjab, Pakistan to a Seraiki-speaking family. His father Qureshi Ghulam Sarwar was from Khanpur, Rahim Yar Khan. When Qureshi was still a child, he started to write his own verses. After finishing secondary education in 1968, he wrote his first romantic story. At the time, he was also working at a sugar mill. Later he obtained his Master of Arts (M.A.) in Urdu literature in 1976. He wrote his first ghazal in 1971 which published in a weekly magazine Lahore. He has visited several countries.
Qureshi was an active member of literary circles in Khanpur. His five publications are related to anthologies of ghazal, nazm and mahiya. His short stories, pen sketches, inshaiya (light essays), a travelog of his pilgrimage to Mecca and a recently published literary journal titled Umre-La ' haasil ka Haasil (The outcome of futile life) are ample proof of his being a prolific writer while living in Germany. He is a strong supporter of Urdu mahiya and has been praised for his work on mahiya and also criticised in the poetry circles.
He is the editor of the literary Urdu magazine Jadeed Adab, which is published both online and in print. It was first launched from Khanpur in 1978, and later from Germany. Qureshi's poetry has been translated into English, Arabic, German and Turkish. At the University of Bahawalpur in Pakistan, a student has written a research thesis on him for his master of arts degree, and a PhD thesis has been written on Qureshi and on his literary work by a student at Gulbarga University of Karnataka, India.
Qureshi is playing the active role in literary activities and he also participated actively in the literary circles of Khanpur to unmask fake poets. He is still an open enemy of pseudo-poets.
Dawn newspaper wrote about his poetry;
"Haider's poetry is a rich blend of traditional Urdu and the local lingo. In it one can find numerous examples of 'linguistic liberty. He is perhaps the only living poet who deliberately uses an old Punjabi dialect in Urdu ghazal.
Not only my dreams are left virgin
but your wishes too
He believes in Roe'be-Husn, the stunning impact of beauty
I have no courage to look at her directly
Better gaze at her while
she is lost in herself
However, he knows very well how valuable dreams are
How can I open my eyes, as I know that
All dreams get decayed when eyes are open
When we seek a new diction with the novel use of old and much repeated words, phrases and metaphors, Haider does not let us down. Here is just one example of his creativity
She tried to avoid me sometime, so I showed reluctance as well
Not a single lotus bloomed in the 'lake of modesty
The use of simple words, avoidance of complexity and creating a unique environment are praiseworthy. Be it ghazal, nazm or mahiya, the locale is visible in most of his poetry.
- Umr-e-Lahaasil Ka Haasil (The Outcome of Futile Life) – Education Publications House Delhi, India. 2009
- Sulgate Khaab – Tajdeed Ishaat Ghar Lahore, Islamabad, Pakistan. 1996
- Umr-e-Gurezaan – Tajdeed Ishaat Ghar Lahore, Islamabad, Pakistan. 1996
- Mohabbat ke Phool – Nayab Publications Lahore. 1997
- Ghazalien, Nazmein, Mahiye – Sarwar Adabi academy, Germany. 1998
- Roshani ki Bisharat – Tajdeed Ishaat Ghar Lahore, Islamabad. 199
- Afsaane – Mayaar Publications Delhi, India. 1999
- Atmi Jang – Mayaar Publications Delhi, India. 1996
- Main Intezaar kerta hoon – Sahitia Bharat, Delhi, India. 1999
- Meri Mohabbatein – Mayaar Publications Delhi, India. 1996–1998
- Soo-e-Hejaaz – Mayaar Publications Delhi, India. 2000–2004
Research and critics books
- Dr. Wazir Agha ahad saaz shakhshiyat – Nayab Publications Khan Pur, Pakistan. 1995
- Urdu mein mahiya nigari – Farhad Publications Rawalpindi, Pakistan. 1999
- Urdu mahiye ke bani Himmat Rai Sharma – Mayaar Publications Delhi, India. 1999
- List of Pakistani poets
- List of Urdu language poets
- List of Pakistani writers
- List of Urdu language writers
- List of Pakistani journalists
- "Haider Qureshi bio.". Google.com. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Urdu Literature: His life`s work". Daily Dawn. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "ادب در ادب". Weekly Nidaimillat. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "ادب در ادب – اردو ماہیا". Weekly Nidaimillat. 27 January 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "editorial board". Jadeed Adab. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "ادب در ادب". Weekly nidaimillat. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "From Germany with love". Daily The news International. 9 May 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Academic Qualifications: M.A., M.Phil., ( Ph.D.)". Gulbar University. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Book Review – 'Umr-e-Lahaasil Ka Haasil'". Daily times. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Of Pakhtun culture moot and PPS woes". Daily Mashriq. 14 November 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2012.