|Known for||Painting, Photography|
Early life and career
Ayla was born Baghdad, Iraq. Before moving to the United States in 1991, Ayla lived between Iraq, Lebanon and Saudi Arabia, after which she lived in Europe for 15 years. She achieved BA Business from Sorbonne University in Paris, as well as MA Marketing & Business from the American College in London and Webster University, Geneva.
Having taken art courses at the College of Marin in California, Ayla holds more than 30 years experience as a photographer, and began painting in her early thirties, she combines photography with painting and collage to create unique mixed media painted photographs from her journeys to the Middle East.
She gave a keynote address at a Red Cross Annual Meeting where she spoke about the historic legacy of the Arabs and its impact on today's world. Ayla has also appeared on national and local radio and television such as ABC's "Good Morning America" as a champion for Arab art culture and humanity.
Her work has been exhibited throughout the Arab world, UK, Europe and the US.
- 2008 - Essene Gallery, Sausalito Calif
- Iraqi American Bridge of Hope Exhibition, Wilmington, Delaware
- 2007 - Cab Calloway School of the Arts, Wilmington, Delaware
- Pomegranate Gallery, Soho, New York City
- Arab Cultural Center of Silicon Valley, Saratoga, California
- 2006 - Aya Gallery, London, England
- Kufa Gallery, London, England
- Savannah Studio, London, England
- Le Tire Bouchon Gallery, Virginia, US
- San Francisco Arab Cultural Center, San Francisco, California
- California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, California
- 2005 - The San Anselmo Inn and Gallery, San Anselmo, California
- Mendocino Gallery, Mendocino, California
- Lehrer Gallery, Larkspur, California
- La Kasbah, San Francisco