Handique Girls College
|Guwahati Girls College|
|Principal||Dr. (Mrs.) Nirmali Medhi|
|Location||Guwahati, Assam, India|
|Affiliations||University of Guwahati|
Handique Girls College is a constituent college of the University of Guwahati. It is one of the oldest colleges located in the Indian state of Assam and offers undergraduate courses in Arts and Science.
The Handique Girls College was established in 1939 as the Guwahati Girls College. Mrs Rajabala Das was the founder principal of the college. The college was initially located in the Panbazar area of the city. With the shifting to the present site in 1940, the college was renamed Handique Girls College (in honour of noted philanthropist R. K. Handique), and became affiliated to the University of Calcutta. The college later become affiliated to the University of Guwahati following its establishment in 1948.
The college has had eleven principals:
|1965–1974||Sarat Chandra Goswami|
|1984–1992||Ratna Kanta Baruah|
|1994–2000||Gagan Chandra Baruah|
|2014-2015||Dr. Santana Kakoti|
|2015 – present||Utpal Dutta|
The college is situated on the western bank of the Dighalipukhuri in Guwahati. The present campus is spread over two acre of land. The Government of Assam has allocated an additional four acre of land for future expansion.
The Nirmal Prova Bordoloi Hostel is situated just opposite to the college campus on the eastern side of the Dighalipukhuri. It is a three storied building with additional residential complex for Hostel Super and other staff members.
The college has eighteen departments offering major and general courses. The college offers courses of study in both Arts and Science faculties up to Degree Major level. The medium of instruction is English. However, Assamese is also used as complementary to English. Conforming to the national pattern of education, 10+2+3 structure is followed in the state of Assam and the Three Year Degree Course (TDC) has been introduced from the 1984-85 session.
The following is a list of courses offered at the college:
- Computer Science
- Home Science
- Political Science
The following is a list of societies active in the college:
- Aangik – A society for cultural activities
- Adventure sports activities
- Assamese Literary Society
- Astronomy Club
- Bohemian Souls- The Dramatics Society
- Economic Society.
- Educational and Psychological Society
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- Handique Girls’ College Science Society
- Health Awareness Cell
- Home Science Society
- Philosophical Study Circle.
- Photographic Society
- Phuloni-Society for green thumbs
- Red Ribbon Club
- Sanskrit Sadanam
- Srijan – A society for creative writing
- The Fountain Head
- The Weavers Society for Creative writing in English
- Women’s Studies Research Centers' Cell
The college celebrates two major festivals during the annual session:
- Freshers Social
- Saraswati Puja
The Handique Girls College Students Union is the general body of the students of the College. Its membership is compulsory for every student admitted into the College. The office bearers of the Union are elected annually through direct ballot. The Students' Union organizes various activities mainly Games and Sports, Debate, Cultural items and Social Service among the students. It also brings out a magazine annually as a medium for developing the potentialities of students.
- "Nearly 3000 apply in Handique Girls College". Times of India. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "About Us". Handique Girls College. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Hostels". Handique Girls College. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Departments". Handique Girls College. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Faculty". Handique Girls College. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Students". Handique Girls College. Retrieved 4 August 2012.