Hans L. Bodlaender
Hans Leo Bodlaender (born April 21, 1960) is a Dutch computer scientist, a professor of computer science at Utrecht University. Bodlaender is known for his work on graph algorithms and parameterized complexity and in particular for algorithms relating to tree decomposition of graphs.
Life and work
Born in Bennekom, Bodlaender was educated at Utrecht University, earning a doctorate in 1986 under the supervision of Jan van Leeuwen with the thesis Distributed Computing – Structure and Complexity.
After postdoctoral research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1987, he returned to Utrecht as a faculty member. In 1987 he was appointed Assistant Professor and in 2003 Associate Professor. In 2014 he became full professor of algorithms and complexity at Utrecht, and at the same time added a part-time professorship in network algorithms at Eindhoven University of Technology.
- Bodlaender, Hans L. (1996), "A linear-time algorithm for finding tree-decompositions of small treewidth", SIAM Journal on Computing, 25 (6): 1305–1317, doi:10.1137/S0097539793251219, hdl:1874/16670, MR 1417901
- Bodlaender, Hans L. (1998), "A partial -arboretum of graphs with bounded treewidth", Theoretical Computer Science, 209 (1–2): 1–45, doi:10.1016/S0304-3975(97)00228-4, hdl:1874/18312, MR 1647486
- Bodlaender, Hans L.; Downey, Rodney G.; Fellows, Michael R.; Hermelin, Danny (2009), "On problems without polynomial kernels", Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 75 (8): 423–434, doi:10.1016/j.jcss.2009.04.001, MR 2568366
- Curriculum vitae (PDF), January 2018, retrieved 2021-09-23
- Hans Leo Bodlaender at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
- Pritchard, D. B. (2007), "Chess Variant Pages", in Beasley, John (ed.), The Classified Encyclopedia of Chess Variants, John Beasley, pp. 362–363, ISBN 978-0-9555168-0-1
- EATCS–IPEC Nerode Prize 2014 – Laudatio, European Association for Theoretical Computer Science, retrieved 2021-09-23
- Fomin, Fedor V.; Kratsch, Stefan; van Leeuwen, Erik Jan, eds. (2020), Treewidth, Kernels, and Algorithms: Essays Dedicated to Hans L. Bodlaender on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 12160, Springer International Publishing, doi:10.1007/978-3-030-42071-0, ISBN 978-3-030-42070-3, MR 4158959, S2CID 215819839