||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hari Punja, OF, OBE (born 1936) is an Indo-Fijian businessman and Chairman of Hari Punja Group of Companies. Hari Punja and Sons Limited is a very diversified (and probably the largest) company in Fiji.
Hari Punja was born in Cuvu, Sigatoka, Fiji and received his education in Fiji and Australia. He trained as a chemical engineer. Punja joined the business in 1960. He has served as a mayor of Lautoka and on a number of prestigious boards such as Fiji Broadcasting Commission and Fiji Sugar Corporation. He served as a Senator from 1996 to 1999.
Punja has been married to Tara for about fifty years and has five children: Rohit, Ajai, Sanjay, Deepa, Leena.
Punja has been bestowed with many credentials and honors. Some of these include:
- Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- Justice of the Peace (JP)
- Order of Fiji: Bestowed by the President of Fiji, Ratu Sir Kaisese Mara
- The Fiji National Millennium Committee recognized Hari Punja as an outstanding contributor in shaping the nation of Fiji during the 20th Century
- He was named as one of the 10 most successful businessmen living outside India in "The Encyclopedia of the Indian Diaspora" (2006) by Professor Dr. Brij Lal (Australian National University)
- Punja was rated the 6th most influential person in the Pacific region through a poll carried out by the Australian-based Pacific Magazine.