2 January 1974 |
Preston, Lancashire, UK
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||57 kg (126 lb; 9.0 st)|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||1500 m: 4:01.10
3000 m: 8:51.02
3000 m steeplechase: 9:29.14
5000 m: 15:06.75
10000 m: 31:45
|Updated on 6-03-2011.|
Helen Teresa Clitheroe (née Pattinson) (born 2 January 1974 in Preston, England) is a British middle and long-distance runner coached by Trevor Painter. She competed in the 1500 m at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and in the 3000 m steeplechase at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. She was the 1500 m bronze medallist at the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
She achieved the Olympic A qualifying standard for the 3000 m steeplechase at the Iberoamericano meeting, in Huelva on 13 June 2008, where she finished 8th in a time of 9:43.56. Her place in the British team for the Games was confirmed when she won the British trials in a new national record time of 9:36.98. At the Games she finished sixth in her heat and did not advance to the next round of competition, despite beating her own national record with a time of 9:29.14. At the 2008 IAAF World Athletics Final, in Stuttgart, Clitheroe placed 9th in the 3000 m steeplechase in a time of 9:39.72.
She completed a spell of high-altitude training in Iten, Kenya and then came close to a 3000 m lifetime best at the Aviva International Match in January 2011, finishing with a stadium record run. The May 2011 Great Manchester Run saw her produce a career best for the 10K as she completed a dominant performance to win the race in a time of 31:45 minutes. She set herself a similar target at the European Cup 10000m in June 2011, but suffered in hot conditions and finished in fourth with a time of 32:11.29 minutes.
- "Great North Run 2011". Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- "Team GB > Beijing 2008 > Athlete profile > Helen Clitheroe". Website of the BOA. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- "Athlete Biography - Clitheroe, Helen". The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Archived from the original on 2008-09-03. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- "Tim Abeyie wins in Rabat, Helen Clitheroe attains Olympic standard in Huelva". Athletics Weekly. 2008-06-15. Archived from the original on 2008-08-02. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- "Clitheroe qualifies for Beijing". BBC Sport. 2008-07-14. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- "Olympics 2008 - Day 1 Evening Session Report". UK Athletics. 2008-08-15. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- "Ohuruogu ready for Richards". sportinglife.com. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- Brown, Matthew (2011-01-29). Ennis sparkles in Glasgow. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-01-30.
- Jessica Ennis starts season with hurdles win in Glasgow . BBC Sport (2011-01-29). Retrieved on 2011-01-30.
- Wenig, Jorg (2011-05-15). Gebrselassie takes fourth Manchester 10Km victory, Clitheroe surprises. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-05-27.
- Portugal double victory at the European Cup 10000m Archived 8 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine.. European Athletics (2011-06-04). Retrieved on 2011-06-05.