Hemmingford, Quebec (township)
Location within Les Jardins-de-Napierville RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||July 1, 1855|
|• Mayor||Paul Viau|
|• Federal riding||Beauharnois—Salaberry|
|• Prov. riding||Huntingdon|
|• Total||158.10 km2 (61.04 sq mi)|
|• Land||157.36 km2 (60.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||11.1/km2 (29/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||0.9%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0L 1H0|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
|Highways|| Route 202
Hemmingford is a township municipality in south-west Quebec, founded in 1799. The population as of the Canada 2011 Census was 1,747. The township completely surrounds the Village of Hemmingford. The two entities (village and township) are locally referred to collectively as Hemmingford. The two share many things, such as the cost of the volunteer fire department and both hold their councils and offices in the same building in the village.
After creation in 1855, the territory of the township was successively partitioned in 1857, 1863 and 1878 to form to the new municipalities of Franklin, Havelock and the Village of Hemmingford respectively.
The township of Hemmingford is located due south of Montreal in the Jardins-de-Napierville in the Montérégie region, in the south-east corner of the former Huntingdon County. It sits between what was the Seigniory of Beauharnois and Seigniory of Lacolle. Prior to its survey in 1792 and 1793, the Township was called "Waste lands". Known for their apple farms, Hemmingford is home to Petch Apple Orchards, one of the largest in Quebec.
The township borders the townships of Havelock, St-Chrysostome, St-Clotilde, Sherrington, and St-Bernard-de-Lacolle. Its southern border is the Canada–United States border with Clinton County, in New York State.
The following locations reside within the municipality's boundaries:
- Barrington ( ) – a hamlet situated at the junction of Rte 219 and Fisher Road.
- Hallerton (hamlet situated on Williams Road. ) – a
- The Fort (hamlet located along Quebec Route 202 in the west towards Havelock ) – a
|Canada census – Hemmingford (township), Quebec community profile|
|Population:||1,747 (-0.9% from 2006)||1,763 (+3.5% from 2001)|
|Land area:||157.36 km2 (60.76 sq mi)||157.36 km2 (60.76 sq mi)|
|Population density:||11.1/km2 (29/sq mi)||11.2/km2 (29/sq mi)|
|Median age:||49.3 (M: 49.0, F: 49.6)||46.3 (M: 46.5, F: 46.2)|
|Total private dwellings:||823||799|
|Median household income:||$53,743||$44,958|
|References: 2011 2006 earlier|
|Historical Census Data - Hemmingford (township), Quebec|
|Canada Census Mother Tongue - Hemmingford (township), Quebec|
French & English
|Year||Responses||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %|
Some of the local attractions include Parc Safari and Hemmingford Golf and Country Club. The town supports many commercial apple growers, including La Face cachée de la pomme, the largest producer of Ice cider in Canada. Other cideries and wineries include; Du Minot, Domaine du Salamandre, le Chat Botté, and PomiVerde.
- Reference number 28436 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: Hemmingford (township)
- Riding history for Beauharnois—Salaberry, Quebec from the Library of Parliament
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: Hemmingford (township), Quebec Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "cp2011" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- Chateauguay Valley
- Hemmingford Village and Township website
- Parc Safari
- Hemmingford Golf and Country Club
- The Gleaner/La Source (local English/French newspaper)
- Epodunk Canada results for Hemmingford
- Rootsweb South West Quebec
||Saint-Chrysostome||Sainte-Clotilde / Saint-Patrice-de-Sherrington|
| United States
Mooers, New York