|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2010)|
|Labels||Profane Existence, Skuld Releases, Sound Pollution|
|Associated acts||Fleas and Lice, Unhinged|
|Past members||Ben - drums
Wills - vocals
Azill - guitar
Phil - guitar
Jonas - bass
Hiatus formed in May 1989, at this time the line-up was Phill, Ben, Raf and Phil. They played in a Doom/Discharge/E.N.T. style and recorded a rehearsal demo called "The Frightening Men Story". In May 1990, they put out their second rehearsal demo called "In My Mind" and soon after Wills joined them on bass.
The band went into the studio and recorded a set of songs which were released on two 7"s and various compilations. Their first 7" "I don't scare easily but..." was released on the French label Urban Alert Records and had a second pressing on Nabate/Mother Peace Records. A split 7" with RMR from Japan called "Severe Existence" was Hiatus' second 7" and was released on the Japanese label MCR Co.
Phil and Raf left and some new members joined: Azill on guitars and vocals and for a short time Vrokker and Leffe from Chronic Disease. During August 91, Hiatus toured the U.S.A. and Canada with The Wurst from Rhode Island and played with bands like Rorschach, and Born Against. In November 1991, they recorded another studio session. From this recording the "Way Of Doom" 7" and Hiatus/Embittered 7" were released in 1992. In February 1992, Hiatus toured Europe with No Security from Sweden, also in 1992 they toured the U.K. with Mushroom Attack from the Netherlands.
In 1993, their "From Resignation ... To Revolt" LP was released on Sound Pollution. Hiatus also toured Europe and Eastern Europe that year. Among others, there were four dates in Sweden, booked by the band Viktors Haufnarren and Resistance Productions. The four France dates were booked by Six Feet Over, Ultimate Disorder, Catalogue Du Grand Nord and Maloka collective. In early August, they made a five dates tour in Spain with the band Six Feet Over. The tour was booked by a member of the Spanish band Positi Caustico. The August 15 date at the "Festes Alternatives a Gracia" in Barna was a huge success, with thousands of punks and anarchists. Hiatus played there with the band Speereth. The last date in the tour was in Luxembourg, toured by Diff (No More and Subway Arts).
In early 1994, the Doom/Hiatus 7" was released. In February 1995, they recorded their "El sueño de la razón produce monstruos" LP. In June 1995, they toured the U.S.A. and Canada again. A self-titled mini LP was released on Skuld Releases/Profane Existence in 1996, the songs on it showed a big progression from their earlier releases with elements of modern hardcore being added to their crust punk sound. Azill and Willy from Hiatus also play in Unhinged who have a 7" and LP out on Nabate.
Current (or last) Hiatus line-up
- Ben - drums
- Wills - vocals
- Azill - guitar
- Phil - guitar
- Jonas - bass
- The Frightening Men Story - demo tape (1989)
- In My Mind - demo tape (1990)
- Hiatus - 7" (Urban Alert Recs., 1990)
- I Don't Scare Easily But... - 7" (Nabate Recs., 1991)
- Hiatus "Severe Existence" /RMR - split 7" (MCR Recs, 1990)
- Way Of Doom - 7" (Profane Existence, 1991)
- Hiatus/Sauna/Svart Snö - Live in Copenhagen - tape (Elderberry, 1992)
- Hiatus "Blind Justice For All" / Embittered - split 7" (Desperate Attempt, 1992)
- From Resignation... To Revolt - LP/CD (Sound Pollution Recs., 1993)
- Hiatus/Fleas And Lice - split 7"
- Hiatus/Doom - split 7" (1994)
- Hiatus/Subcaos - split 7"
- El Sueño De La Razón Produce Monstruos - LP (1995)
- Old-fashioned Shit for Consumers - CD (1995)
- Hiatus - MLP (1996)
- They Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - 7" (Nabate Recs., 1991)
- Walk Across America - 7" (Be Yourself Recs., 1992)
- Machination World - 7" (Machination Recs., 1993)
- Sons Of Bleeuargh 2 - 7" (Slap A Ham, 1993)
- Die Human Race - Flexi 7" (Skuld/Profane existence, 1996)
Almost no information to be found on the web nowadays, the above info from former