|Studio album by Steve Hackett|
|Genre||Progressive rock, pop rock|
|Label||Charisma Records (United Kingdom)
Epic Records (United States)
|Producer||John Acock and Steve Hackett|
|Steve Hackett chronology|
Highly Strung is the sixth solo album from former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett. "Cell 151" was a minor hit from the album, and charted in the UK. Added to Hackett's band was drummer Ian Mosley, who would join Marillion in 1984. This was Hackett's final studio release for Charisma.
The front cover painting is, as on many of Hackett's albums, by his then-wife Kim Poor.
- "Camino Royale" (Hackett, Magnus) – 5:28
- "Cell 151" (Hackett) – 3:30
- "Always Somewhere Else" (Hackett) – 4:02
- "Walking Through Walls" (Hackett) – 3:48
- "Give It Away" (Hackett) – 4:08
- "Weightless" (Hackett) – 3:31
- "Group Therapy" (Hackett) – 5:47
- "India Rubber Man" (Hackett) – 2:31
- "Hackett to Pieces" (Hackett, Magnus) – 2:40
2007 Remaster Bonus Tracks
- "Guitar Boogie" – 2:12
- "Walking Through Walls" (12" version) – 5:55 (This is a different recording than the album version.)
- "Time Lapse at Milton Keynes" – 3:52
Alternate US LP Track listing
The US LP version of the album had a different track order than that found on other versions of the album. The LP's version of the song Walking Through Walls is also different.
- "Cell 151"
- "Give It Away"
- "Camino Royale"
- "Always Somewhere Else"
- "Walking Through Walls" (12" version)
- "Group Therapy"
- "India Rubber Man"
- "Hackett to Pieces"
CELL 151 This was released a single (see discography for listing) and briefly charted becoming Hackett's only solo single hit reaching number 66 in the UK charts in April 1983 for a two-week run. The 7" was in an edited form while the 12" was the full album cut. The front cover painting is by Kim Poor, and the back photo is a live shot promoting Steve's UK tour with a list of upcoming concerts. A limited edition version of the 12" came with a shrink-wrapped bonus Clocks 12" "white-label" with a white sleeve and the labels have a large "1" on side one, and a large "2" on side two. A promotional video was made featuring the Mad-Hatters tea party (a Charisma reference) with Steve in a cage... maybe another Charisma reference!
WALKING THROUGH WALLS – RELEASE CANCELLED: This track was remixed and clocks in at 3:38. It is essentially a remixed edit of the extended version that originally showed up on the American album release of Highly Strung on Epic records and latterly on the 2007 CD remaster of Highly Strung. Two Utopia Studio acetates are known to exist for this: a 7", and a 12" both containing the same 3:38 version. This release was withdrawn probably because it was the end of Steve's tenure with Charisma/ Virgin.
- Steve Hackett – guitar, vocals, harmonica
- Nick Magnus – keyboards, producer, engineering
- John Acock - synthesisers, engineering
- Chris Lawrence – contrabass
- Ian Mosley – drums
- Nigel Warren-Green – cello
- Platts, R. "Highly Strung – Steve Hackett | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 25 July 2011.