Hillcrest High School (Queens)
|Hillcrest High School|
|160-05 Highland Avenue
Queens, New York
|Type||Public high school|
|Principal||David T. Morrison|
|Enrollment||3,289 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||22.0:1|
|Color(s)||Violet and Gray|
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 3,289 students and 149.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 22.0:1. There were 2,380 students (72.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 311 (9.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The mascot is the hawk (changed from the Braves, the original mascot chosen when the school opened in 1971) and the school colors are violet and gray.
The school's boys and girls' soccer team became division champions in the 06/07 and also the 07/08 season guided by Coach Asqui. The school is also notable for its rigorous baseball program led by Coach Malave.
Stephen M. Duch was the school principal from 1996 to the beginning of 2014. Prior to the arrival of Duch, the school was listed as the most violent school in the city. Duch is attributed to turning the school around and significantly decreasing the number of major violent incidents at the school. After his retirement, Mr. David T. Morrison, a graduate of Hillcrest and who served as the AP of English for several years, became the new principal.
This is a partial list of notable alumni of Hillcrest High School. Names on this list should either have an accompanying existing article link which verifies they are an alumnus, or reliable sources as footnotes against the name showing they are a notable alumnus.
- Aaron Alexis, former US Navy civilian contractor, killed 12 US Navy servicemembers and contractors in an attack in Washington, DC on September 16, 2013.
- Fran Drescher (Class of 1975), actress, best known for her role on The Nanny. While there she was told to get voice lessons. Her character Fran Fine from The Nanny also graduated from Hillcrest.
- Bianca Golden (Class of 2006), model, best known for America's Next Top Model (Cycle 9)
- Ray Romano (Class of 1975), actor, best known for his role as Ray Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond and Manny in all five of the Ice Age movies.
- School data for Hillcrest High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Highlighter, Hillcrest. "Hillcrest Highlighter". http://www.hillcresthighlighter.webs.com/. Hillcrest High School. Retrieved 2014-05-07. External link in
- Meisler, Andy. "TELEVISION; Mary Poppins She's Not", The New York Times, December 18, 1994. Accessed November 20, 2007. "After she graduated from Hillcrest High School in Queens, where she met Mr. Jacobson, the two of them moved to Los Angeles and were married."
- "Yahoo Movies - Ray Romano". Archived from the original on January 14, 2009. Retrieved 2006-08-23.
- Hillcrest High School gets Undeserved Grade on 2007 Progress Report published by the NY Daily News (November 27, 2007)
- Two Hillcrest High Students Caught Setting Fires At School, Queens Chronicle (April 28, 2005)
- Public Advocate's Newsday Op-Ed on School Safety, Public Advocate for The City of New York (April 5, 2005)
- Principal Apple of His Eye, New York Daily news reprint (January 7, 2004)