Hit Me with Your Best Shot
|"Hit Me with Your Best Shot"|
|Single by Pat Benatar|
|from the album Crimes of Passion|
|B-side||"Prisoner of Love"|
|Released||September 15, 1980|
|Format||Vinyl record (7")|
|Genre||Rock, Power pop|
|Pat Benatar singles chronology|
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" is a song written by Canadian singer/songwriter Eddie Schwartz, and recorded by American singer Pat Benatar. In 1980, it was released as the second single from her second album Crimes of Passion. It hit #7 in Cash Box, and reached #9 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming her first Top 10 hit.
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" sold well over a million copies in the US, achieving a gold certification by the RIAA. The song is one of Benatar's most recognizable. It can be heard at many baseball and soccer games, and is featured on most of Pat's 'hits' compilations.
Eddie Schwartz, writer of the song, said that he came up with the title of the song after attending a "pillow punching" therapy session in Toronto, but stated that the title is to be taken metaphorically. The song is in E major and features a general chord progression of I-IV-vi-V, with occasional added chords built on passing and neighboring tones, although Benatar has commented that in hindsight she would have preferred to replace the C# minor (vi) chord with F# minor (ii). The song was released as a single in the USA, and possibly other markets, in a mix with an additional lead guitar track. The song was also one of the songs available to put on a free mail-order customized mix CD with every pizza order as a part of a Pizza Hut promotion for their "New Yorker"-style pizza at the time.
The song was sampled by D12 in a song of the same name. It was originally made for Eminem's seventh studio album Recovery, released in 2010, but it did not make the final cut. Since early 2011 though, the song has since leaked on the Internet.
Appearances in other media and popular culture
- A version of the song is a playable track in the game Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, while the original master track is playable in Guitar Hero On Tour for the Nintendo DS and Guitar Hero: Smash Hits for consoles.
- This song is available on the game Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition for the Sony PlayStation 2 and PSP.
- This song also is a downloadable song in the Rock Band series, and is playable in Rock Band Track Pack: Classic Rock.
- Able to be sung as a Karaoke challenge by the lead character Wei Shen in Sleeping Dogs
TV commercials and reality TV programs
- American band My American Heart covered the song for a commercial for the French online video game service GameTap.
- In the reality TV series The Glee Project, contestants sang the song as part of a mashup of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"/"One Way Or Another" in the sixth episode entitled "Fearlessness" in the second season.
- The song is featured in a Prestone Antifreeze Coolant commercial in 1999.
- The song is covered by the character Erica in the TV series "The Goldbergs".
- The song is covered A Cappella in the 2012 film Pitch Perfect.
- It is covered in the 2012 movie Rock of Ages by Catherine Zeta Jones featuring a dance scene.
- Wilhite, Jud (2007). That Crazy Little Thing Called Love: The Soundtrack of Marriage, Sex, and Faith. Standard Publishing. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-7847-1944-2.
- "Benatar Pat "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" Chords". Tablaturas.buanzo.com.ar. 1997-06-30. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Interview with Geoff Reynolds, "Pat Benatar Fires Away on Marriage, Middle Age, and the Future of Rock and Roll," Rocker Quarterly, Vol. IX, No. 4 (Winter 1995-96), p. 47.
- Inc, Activision. "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - Xbox 360: Video Games". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Inc, Activision. "Guitar Hero Smash Hits: Nintendo Wii: Video Games". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Inc, Activision. "Guitar Hero: On Tour: Video Games". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar // Songs // Rock Band®". Rockband.com. 2007-11-20. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- ""Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - Xbox.com". Marketplace.xbox.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.