|Directed by||John Whitesell|
|Written by||Tiffany Paulsen|
|Edited by||Emma E. Hickox|
|Music by||Dan the Automator|
Holidate is a 2020 American romantic comedy film directed by John Whitesell, from a screenplay by Tiffany Paulsen. It stars Emma Roberts, Luke Bracey, Jake Manley, Jessica Capshaw, Andrew Bachelor, Frances Fisher, Manish Dayal and Kristin Chenoweth. The film was released on Netflix on October 28, 2020.
Sloane Benson is a young woman who hates the holidays due to the judgement she receives from her family for being single. Having recently broken up with her boyfriend, her mother Elaine is constantly trying to set her up with a new man, much to Sloane's annoyance. At her family's Christmas dinner her younger brother, York gets engaged to his girlfriend of three months, Liz, and Sloane is now the only single person left in the family. Meanwhile, Jackson, an Australian golfer, is stuck spending the holidays with a woman he has no interest in. His date becomes angry with him for not getting her a Christmas present, and he leaves in frustration.
After Christmas, Sloane and Jackson have a chance encounter when both are returning presents they received. Jackson offers to avoid bad holiday dates by dating specifically on these dates. Though initially reluctant, she decides to take Jackson up on his offer and the two end up spending New Year's Eve together, but have no further contact. However, on Valentine's Day, both have another chance encounter where Jackson pretends to be her boyfriend in front of her ex. They become friends over spending various holidays together.
After both become closer when Jackson loses a finger, he fears he is not good enough for her and tries to set her up with a better date, which leads to a fight at her brother‘s wedding ding. While at a Halloween costume party together, Sloane becomes unwell after accidentally swallowing laxatives. Jackson takes care of her until they end up falling asleep and having sex the morning after. Sloane's sister arrives freaking out about kissing somebody else and Sloane uses it as an excuse to shove Jackson out, much to his dismay.
At Thanksgiving, both have a fight after Jackson opens up to Sloane and tells her how he feels about them. Both break off contact afterwards. In the days leading to Christmas, Sloane visits Jackson's place but she is still reluctant to speak to him. When shopping at the mall, they have another chance encounter. In front of hundreds of people, she confesses her love for Jackson and the two embrace.
The end credits reveal that all of the couples were still together. With Sloane and Jackson travelling to Australia for the holidays, Aunt Susan being engaged to Farooq, Wally and Sloane’s mother dating, just like Neil and Carly (Jackson's date from the beginning of the film).
- Emma Roberts as Sloane Benson
- Luke Bracey as Jackson
- Andrew Bachelor as Neil
- Jessica Capshaw as Abby
- Manish Dayal as Faarooq
- Alex Moffat as Peter
- Jake Manley as York
- Cynthy Wu as Liz
- Frances Fisher as Elaine
- Kristin Chenoweth as Aunt Susan
- Dan Lauria as Wally
- Carl McDowell as Scruffy Santa
- Nicola Peltz as Felicity
- Julien Marlon as Luc
- Mikaela Hoover as Annie
- Aimee Carrero as Carly
- Meeghan Holaway as Carly's Mom
- Savannah Reina as Daisy
- Billy Slaughter as Barry
- Carlos Lacamara as Carly's Dad
In March 2019, it was announced Emma Roberts had joined the cast of the film, with John Whitesell directing from a screenplay by Tiffany Paulsen. McG and Mary Viola would serve as producers on the film under their Wonderland Sound and Vision banner, while Netflix would distribute. In May 2019, Luke Bracey, Jake Manley, Jessica Capshaw, Andrew Bachelor, Frances Fisher, Manish Dayal and Kristin Chenoweth joined the cast of the film. In June 2019, Alex Moffat joined the cast of the film.
Holidate was digitally released by Netflix on October 28, 2020. It was the top-streamed item in its debut weekend. On November 4, Variety reported the film was the 25th-most watched straight-to-streaming title of 2020 up to that point. In January 2021, Netflix reported 68 million households had watched the film.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 44% based on 57 reviews, with an average rating of 5.1/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Holidate's self-aware approach to rom-com formula is refreshing, but it's offset by a questionable premise and unnecessarily vulgar jokes." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 44 out of 100, based on 15 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- Kroll, Justin (March 1, 2019). "Emma Roberts to Star in Netflix Rom-Com 'Holidate'". Variety. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (May 14, 2019). "Luke Bracey, Jessica Capshaw, Frances Fisher, Jake Manley, Kristin Chenoweth & More Join Emma Roberts In 'Holidate' Film At Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (June 3, 2019). "'Saturday Night Live's Alex Moffat Boards Netflix's 'Holidate' Movie". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "Casting Extras in Atlanta for New Emma Robers Movie "Holidate"". Auditions Free. May 8, 2019. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- Turner, Mike (September 30, 2020). "Trailer release: "Holidate" enters the Netflix Holiday romcom smorgasbord". Mike Turner Media. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- Spellberg, Claire (September 23, 2020). "New On Netflix October 2020". Decider. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- Brueggemann, Tom (November 2, 2020). "Netflix's 'Holidate' and VOD 'After We Collided' Thrive as Romance Beats Horror Over Halloween". IndieWire. Retrieved November 3, 2020.
- Bridge, Gavin (November 4, 2020). "DATA: 'BORAT 2' SECOND ONLY TO 'HAMILTON' IN MOST-WATCHED U.S. SVOD MOVIES OF 2020". Variety. Archived from the original on November 4, 2020. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- "Every Viewing Statistic Netflix Has Released So Far". What's on Netflix. Retrieved April 19, 2021.
- "Holidate (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved October 10, 2021.
- "Holidate Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 2, 2020.