|Parent||Gerald King (50%)|
John King (50%)
|Service type||Coach charter services|
|Alliance||Premier Transport Group|
|Fleet||25 (June 2015)|
Hopkinsons' origins can be traced to 1923 when the Try family, trading as Merrylands Bus Company, commenced operating services in the Fairfield, Guildford and Merrylands area with four buses. By 1957 the fleet had expanded to 16 buses. In 1978 Merrylands Bus Company was sold to Graham Hopkinson and renamed Hopkinsons and relocated to Smithfield.
In late 2003 the coach business of Challenge Coachlines was purchased and amalgamated with Hopkinsons' existing coach charter business. Following the death of Graham Hopkinson in 2011, his four daughters took over running the business.
From 2005 Hopkinsons' services formed part of Sydney Bus Region 3. In October 2013 Transit Systems Sydney commenced operating Region 3 including the services formerly operated by Hopkinsons. Hopkinsons continues to trade as a charter operator.
As at June 2015, the fleet consisted of five buses and 20 coaches.
When Hopkinsons purchased the business in 1978 it consisted of Bedfords. In the 1980s these were replaced by ex ACTION AEC Swift and Volvo B58s. In the 1990s it had some ex Public Transport Corporation Volvo B59s rebodied by P&D Coachworks to a design by Hopkinsons followed by some similarly bodied Volvo B10Bs. More recent purchases have been Custom Coaches bodied Volvo B12BLEs.
In the 1980s the two tone green livery was replaced by the current white, green and blue colour scheme. Coaches used to also carry this livery until a silver livery was adopted at about the same time as the purchase of Challenge Coachlines.
- Company History Hopkinsons
- Hopkinsons Metrobus & Coaches Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- A leading western Sydney bus industry identity passed away late last week Australasian Bus & Coach 21 September 2011
- Region 3 Archived 25 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine Transport NSW
- Cut costs or bus contracts will go to private sector, minister tells drivers Sydney Morning Herald 7 November 2012
- Transit Systems awarded Sydney buses contract Archived 25 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine Transit Systems 7 November 2012
- "Hopkinsons" Australian Bus Panorama issue 30/6 May 2015 page 53
- "Hopkinsons" Australian Bus Panorama issue 31/1 July 2015 page 49
- Five years after Graham Hopkinson passed away, Premier’s Gerard King is at the Hopkinson’s helm. Australasian Bus & Coach 12 September 2016