Premier Transport Group
|Service type||Bus and coach|
Premier Motor Service
Premier Transport Group is an Australian operator of bus and coach services in New South Wales and Queensland. Its origins can be traced back to December 1987 when John King purchased Nowra Coaches. It has since expanded through a number of acquisitions.
In December 1987, John King purchased Nowra Coaches from Bill Gill. Nowra Coaches expanded in August 1988 when the school bus services of Sampson Tours were acquired. An all blue livery was adopted. Following the purchase of Pioneer Motor Service, the turquoise and white livery of the express operator was adopted in the 2000s and the operation rebranded Premier Shoalhaven.
In July 2013, Premier Shoalhaven commenced operating a service between Moss Vale station and Goulburn under contract to NSW TrainLink. It also operates late night services between Bomaderry and Kiama for NSW TrainLink.
Local bus services operated in Nowra still under the Nowra Coaches name:
- 724: Nowra to Wollongong University Shoalhaven Campus
- 732: Nowra to Basin View
- 733: Nowra to Hyams Beach
Premier Motor Service
Pioneer Motor Service commenced operating in August 1929 when Cecil Haigh commenced operating a service from Bomaderry station (Nowra) to Bega via Tilba, Bermagui, Cobargo and Quaama. In 1946 the Bega to Eden service was purchase from Edwards Bus Service. Towns north of Tilba were served by Bartletts Bus Service and Harrisons Motor Service.
In 1962, Pioneer Motor Service purchased Bartletts Bus Service from John A Gilbert resulting in Pioneer Motor Service covering the whole of the South Coast between Nowra and Eden. Harrisons continued to operate the night service until it ceased operating the service in the 1970s. Pioneer Motor Service commenced picking up on the night service also, becoming the sole long distance operator on the South Coast. Following deregulation in the 1990s, Pioneer Motor Service extended its services north to Sydney.
In June 1996, the Sydney to Brisbane services of Kirkland's Bros were acquired followed in August 1996 by the Sydney to Brisbane services of Lindsay's Coaches. Both of these were rebranded as Pioneer Motor Service. In 1997 Greyhound Pioneer Australia took legal action to prevent the Pioneer Motor Service name being used on the services north of Sydney. This action was successful and the operation was rebranded as Premier Motor Service.
In November 1998, services were extended from Eden to Melbourne This extension ceased on 12 December 2014. After a takeover bid for Greyhound Pioneer Australia was unsuccessful, Premier Motor Service commenced a Brisbane to Cairns service in August 2000.
In 2012, Premier Transport Group purchased the business of Busit Queensland with depots in Mackay and Moranbah. It operates school services and contracts for Central Queensland mines including for the BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance.
On 2 February 2015, the business of Green's Northern Coaches, Thirroul was purchased with 18 buses and rebranded as Premier Charters. It operates two routes as part of Sydney Outer Metropolitan Bus Region 9 in Wollongong's northern suburbs.
- Birchmeier, John (2011). Kembla, Keira and around the Lake : a history of Rutty's Bus Service, Wollongong 1925 - 2001. Kingsford. ISBN 9780980627312.
- "Nowra Coaches" Fleetline November 1988 page 276
- About Us Nowra Coaches
- "Ownership Changes" Fleetline July 1995 page 129
- "Nowra Coaches" Australian Bus Panorama issue 12/1 August 1996 page 54
- "Long Distance Services" Fleetline November 1996 page 202
- "Change of Name for Pioneer Motor Service" Australian Bus Panorama issue 13/3 December 1997 page 29
- "Express Coach" Australian Bus Panorama issue February 1999 page 21
- Travellers left scrambling as bus service axed Eden Magnet 2 December 2014
- "National & Manufacturing" Australian Bus Panorama October 2000 page 19
- Kings Kirklands Takeover Opens Routes Australasian Bus & Coach 6 March 2008
- John's king of the road South Coast Register 19 June 2001
- "Private operators" Fleetline July 2001 page 112
- Outer Metropolitan Sydney Bus Contract Regions 9 and 10 Archived 14 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine. NSW Government Transport & Infrastructure October 2009
- About Us Premier Queensland
- Premier Illawarra has taken over Green's Northern Coaches Illawarra Mercury 4 February 2015
- "Premier Illawarra acquires Green's Northern Coaches" Australian Bus issue 68 March 2015
- Timetables Archived 27 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Premier Charters
- "Hopkinsons" Australian Bus Panorama issue 30/6 May 2015 page 53
- "Hopkinsons" Australian Bus Panorama issue 31/1 July 2015 page 49