|Population||405 (2011 Census data for Horsley Parish)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE|
The data below show that 49.4% of the population in Horsley (Parish) are male and 50.6% are female, which is in line with that of the national average, as well as that of the county of Northumberland.
A total of 1.5% of the population were from a black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) group in Horsley (Parish). This figure is somewhat lower than that of the average in Northumberland (2.6%), as well as being significantly lower than the national average (14.6%).
Data from the Office for National Statistics found that the average life expectancy in the Bywell electoral ward is 81.4 years for men, and 83.0 years for women. These statics compare very favourably, when compared to the average life expectancy in the North East of England, of 77.4 and 81.4 years, for men and women respectively.
Car ownership is very high in Horsley (Parish), with a total of 92.9% households having access to at least one car. This is significantly higher than the average within Northumberland (78.0%), as well as the national average (74.2%).
|Demographic||% of population
|% of population
|% of population |
|Candidate||Political party||Total votes||% of votes|
|Karen Rachel Quinn||833||43.3%|
The site of Vindobala Roman Fort, of which little is now visible, lies around 2 miles (3.2 km) to the north-east of the village. Nearby is Rudchester Hall, a medieval pele tower, much altered and extended in Gothic style in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Around 3 miles (4.8 km) to the north-west of the village are the remains of a medieval manor house and tower house at Welton Hall, now located within a farm complex. The tower house dates from the late fourteenth or early fifteenth-century and is roofless. The manor house is even older, but has been much altered and rebuilt.
The nearest airport is Newcastle International Airport, which is around 8.5 miles (14 km) from the village by road. Carlisle Lake District Airport and Teesside International Airport are located around 43 and 47 miles (69 and 76 km) from the village respectively.
The village is served by two buses per hour to Hexham and Newcastle, with one bus per hour to Carlisle.
The nearest National Rail stations are located around 2.5 miles (4 km) from the village at Wylam and Prudhoe, both of which serve the Tyne Valley Line, with services operated by Northern Trains. From Wylam, there is an hourly service to both Hexham and Newcastle. There is a more regular service at Prudhoe, with three trains per hour to Hexham and Newcastle, as well as a twice-hourly service to Carlisle.
The village is located near to the A69 road, which runs for 54 miles (87 km), from Carlisle to the A1 at Denton Burn. The former route of the A69, now the B6528, used to run through the village to Heddon-on-the-Wall, but is now bypassed.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Horsley (Parish) (as of 2011) (E04010810)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Northumberland Local Authority (E06000057)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – England Country (E92000001)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Health state life expectancy by 2011 Census wards, England and Wales: 2009 to 2013". Office for National Statistics. 7 March 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Bywell Ward (as of 2011) (E05008031)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Councillors, Committees and Meetings". Northumberland County Council. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "MPS representing Hexham (Constituency)". UK Parliament. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Declaration of result of poll: Bywell Division of Northumberland County Council" (PDF). Northumberland County Council. 5 May 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Rudchester, Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Welton Hall, Stocksfield, Northumberland". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Train times: Sunderland and Newcastle to Hexham and Carlisle" (PDF). Northern Trains. 14 September 2020. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- Media related to Horsley, Northumberland at Wikimedia Commons