How to Be a Heartbreaker
|"How to Be a Heartbreaker"|
|Single by Marina and the Diamonds|
|from the album Electra Heart|
|Released||7 December 2012|
|Marina and the Diamonds singles chronology|
"How to Be a Heartbreaker" is a song by Welsh recording artist Marina and the Diamonds from the American version of her second studio album Electra Heart (2012). It was released on 7 December 2012 by 679 Artists and Atlantic Records as the third and final single from the record. Diamandis worked with Ammar Malik, Benny Blanco, Cirkut, Daniel Omelio, and Dr. Luke during the songwriting process, and enlisted Blanco, Cirkut, and Dr. Luke to oversee its production.
Background and release
Diamandis explained that "How to Be a Heartbreaker" was the only new track on the US edition of her album Electra Heart, and she wrote it "as the UK album was being printed." Lyrically, she stated the song "basically involves four rules on how to be a heartbreaker. It's a guide for everyone!" Despite initially confirming to Digital Spy that "How to Be a Heartbreaker" would be released in the United Kingdom on 15 October 2012, Diamandis ultimately stated via her Twitter page on 22 November 2012 that the UK release of the song would be postponed until spring 2013 because of her US tour in December.
On 19 September 2012, Diamandis announced on her Twitter page that the music video for "How to Be a Heartbreaker" would premiere online on 24 September. However, problems occurred on the day of the supposed release, and Diamandis took to her Twitter to explain the situation: "So, someone at my record label won't let me release the video because I look ugly in it apparently and we need more money and time to paint out ugly parts. The video will be out end of the week. If not, I am happy to leak the 'minger' version for my fans." The video premiered on 28 September 2012 on YouTube.
The video was directed by duo Marc & Ish and filmed in late August 2012. It opens with Diamandis in a shower surrounded by Speedo-clad male models. It includes various close-up shots of Diamandis and the models throughout the video. She also appears with four different men in various settings, each showing her with a different colored hair ribbon. It includes shots of her walking alone on the beach in some parts of the video, and includes a shot of her holding a platter with a severed and bloodied mannequin head. She dons black hair and various black dresses throughout the video, and her signature heart makeup on her cheek. Diamandis revealed to The Sun that she was highly involved in the video: "I had 100 percent creative control over this video. I was like 'OK, let's get six Calvin Klein models and put them in the shower and I'll stand in the middle in PVC'."
Diamandis first performed "How to Be a Heartbreaker" live on 29 June 2012 on The Lonely Hearts Club Tour at the HMV Institute in Birmingham. She has since performed the song during most of her Lonely Hearts Club Tour performances and opening performances on Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto Tour, occasionally adding another breakdown after the second chorus. On 9 July 2012, she performed the song on Jimmy Kimmel Live! along with "Primadonna". She has performed the song acoustically on various radio stations and television appearances in Europe and Canada. She also performed the song as part of her "YouTube Presents" streaming performance along with four other songs from Electra Heart on 15 August 2012.
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker" – 3:41
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker" (Kat Krazy Remix) – 3:34
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker" (Almighty Remix) – 5:37
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker" (Kitty Pryde Remix) – 3:00
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker" (Baunz Remix) – 7:27
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker" (Dada Life Remix) – 6:28
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker" (Dada Life Remix Radio Edit) – 3:16
|Finland Download (Latauslista)||23|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||29|
|Poland (Polish Airplay New)||3|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||88|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Ireland||7 December 2012||Digital download|||
|United States||8 January 2013||Contemporary hit radio||Elektra|||
|United Kingdom||3 February 2013||Digital download||
|Canada||12 March 2013||Digital download – Remixes||Elektra|||
- Rose, Josée (14 March 2013). "'Glee' Recap: Epic Musical Feuds". The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Corner, Lewis; Parker-Williams, Amie (3 July 2012). "Marina and the Diamonds talks new UK single 'How to Be a Heartbreaker'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- Corner, Lewis (11 July 2012). "Marina and the Diamonds announces UK tour, confirms new single". Digital Spy. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Diamandis, Marina (22 November 2012). "Touring my butt off in 'merica ...". Twitter. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- O'Mance, Brad (19 September 2012). "Marina's putting a new video online on Monday". Popjustice. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Michaels, Sean (25 September 2012). "Marina Diamandis too 'ugly' in new video, according to her US label". The Guardian. guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Marina And The Diamonds release new video following 'ugly' comments from label". NME. IPC Media. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Knight, David (3 October 2012). "Marina & The Diamonds '(How To Be A) Heartbreaker' by Marc & Ish – now signed to Love". Promo News. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Diamandis, Marina (29 August 2012). "BOYS...". Twitter. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Garland, Ian (28 September 2012). "Marina's wet and wild music video". The Sun. News Group Newspapers. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Gilvear, Kevin (2 July 2012). "Marina and the Diamonds – HMV Institute, Birmingham". The Digital Fix. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Thanh (9 July 2012). "Marina and the Diamonds Performs "Primadonna" on Jimmy Kimmel Live". Elektra Records. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Marina And The Diamonds YouTube Presents Acoustic Songs 15/08/2012". YouTube. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker – EP by Marina and The Diamonds". iTunes Store UK. Apple. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "How to Be a Heartbreaker – EP by Marina and The Diamonds". iTunes Store Ireland. Apple. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "How To Be a Heartbreaker Remixes – Single by Marina and The Diamonds". iTunes Store Canada. Apple. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "How To Be a Heartbreaker Remixes – Single by Marina and The Diamonds". iTunes Store US. Apple. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Danishcharts.com – Marina and the Diamonds – How to Be a Heartbreaker". Tracklisten. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Marina & the Diamonds: How to Be a Heartbreaker" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Chart Track: Week 50, 2012". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay New. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "CHART: CLUK Update 16.02.2013 (wk6)". The Zobbel Website. 16 February 2013.
- "MARINA & THE DIAMONDS "HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER"" (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "American single certifications – Marina and the Diamonds – How to Be a Heartbreaker". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Top 40/M Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "How To Be A Heartbreaker by Marina And The Diamonds". 7digital. Retrieved 23 December 2013.