Daniel Harper (headmaster)
Harper was educated at Christ's Hospital and at St John's College, Cambridge. He won a scholarship to Jesus College in 1840. He obtained a second in classical moderations, followed by a first in mathematics in 1844. He was a Fellow of Jesus College between 1845 and 1852. He was headmaster of Cowbridge Grammar School (1847–50) and Sherborne School (1851–77).
In 1877 he was elected Principal. During his time as Principal, he was heavily engaged in disputes about proposed new statutes for the college that were considered by their opponents to have an adverse effect on the links between the college and Wales. He died in 1895 after a prolonged period of ill-health.
- "Harper, Hugo Daniel (HRPR840HD)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "University and clerical intelligence — Oxford, June 19". The Times. 22 June 1850.
- "University intelligence". The Times. 1 November 1877.
- Baker, J. N. L (1971). Jesus College 1571–1971. Oxonian Press Ltd, Oxford. pp. 71–72. ISBN 0-9502164-0-2.
- "University intelligence". The Times. 26 February 1847.
- Baker, Jesus College, pp. 91–93
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|