|Founded||July 1, 2011|
Hypothes.is is a 501(c) open-source software project that aims to collect comments about statements made in any web-accessible content, and filter and rank those comments to assess each statement's credibility. It has been summarized as "a peer review layer for the entire Internet."
The project is to write software and establish a system which will allow annotation of web pages, using comments contributed by individuals and a reputation system for rating the comments. The plan is that the comments will be stored in the Internet Archive. Normal use is planned to be with a browser plug-in, and the plan is that links to specific comments will also be viewable without needing a plug-in.
The project is led by Dan Whaley, co-founder of GetThere, which was one of the first online travel booking systems in 1995. Its advisors include John Perry Barlow, Charles Bazerman, Philip Bourne and Brewster Kahle.
A Kickstarter drive to raise $100,000 to fund a working prototype narrowly reached its goal on November 13, 2011. The effort is organized as a non-profit. It has received financial support from the Shuttleworth Foundation, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Helmsley Trust, the Knight Foundation and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
In December 2015, Hypothes.is was a founding member of a coalition of scholarly publishers, platforms, libraries, and technology organizations to create an open, interoperable annotation layer over their content.
- Dan Whaley (ed.). "The Internet, peer-reviewed.". Hypothes.is. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Schonfeld, Erick (Oct 31, 2011), Hypothes.is: A Kickstarter Project To Peer Review The Web, Techcrunch, retrieved 2011-11-14
- Masnick, Mike (Oct 24, 2011). "Interesting Ideas: Can You Peer Review The Entire Internet, Sentence By Sentence". Techdirt. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Shaughnessy, Haydn (Oct 21, 2011). "Would Your Blog Stand up To Criticism? Here Comes Peer Review". Forbes. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Kirkpatrick, Marshall (Oct 20, 2011). "Hypothes.is: A Peer-Review Layer for the Whole Internet". ReadWriteWeb. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Farley, Tim (17 November 2011). "Hypothes.is Reaches Funding Goal". James Randi Educational Foundation. Retrieved 2011-11-26.
- Sloan, Gene (Oct 22, 1996). "Net catches more travelers planning trips". USA Today. McLean, Va. p. 6D.
- Fernandes, Lorna (Oct 26, 1997). "It's no small world for ITN". San Jose Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Hypothes.is - Taking peer review to the Internet. on Kickstarter
- David Streitfeld (April 11, 2013). "Speak Up, the Internet Can’t Hear You". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "Letter 947 (DO/CG)" (PDF). IRS. June 29, 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 7, 2013.
- "Active Fellows: Dan Whaley". The Shuttleworth Foundation Trust. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "2011 Annual Report" (PDF). Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. p. 72. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "Helmsley Trust Supports Open Annotation in Biomedical Research | Hypothesis". hypothes.is. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- "A Grant from the Knight Foundation | Hypothesis". hypothes.is. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- "Award from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation". June 9, 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Perkel, Jeffrey M. (December 1, 2015). "Annotating the scholarly web". Nature. Archived from the original on December 6, 2015. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
- Official website
- Jim Giles (19 September 2012). "Reality checker: How to cut nonsense from the net" (PDF). New Scientist. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- David Streifield (April 11, 2013). "Speak Up, the Internet Can’t Hear You". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- Todd A. Carpenter (April 30, 2013). "iAnnotate — Whatever Happened to the Web as an Annotation System?". The Scholarly Kitchen. Society for Scholarly Publishing. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- Meredith Schwartz (January 23, 2013). "8 Questions with Peter Brantley on Hypothes.is". Library Journal. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- Paul Hyman (November 27, 2012). "Two Apps Aim To Tell The Truth And Nothing But The Truth". ACM News. ACM. Retrieved 2013-07-13.