IIMUN (India's International Movement to Unite Nations) is a youth run organisation comprising 26,000 young organisers who put together student conferences in 160 cities across 15 countries, and work with over 7,500 schools impacting 10 million making it the worlds largest offline social network. The outfit simulates the workings of United Nations for school students to engage them in thoughtful debates and discussions about international relations, current affairs and world politics. Shah believes providing such platforms to the youth and encouraging them to rediscover India's glorious past, along with the current geopolitical realities of the world, will help train tomorrow's leaders.
Aged 19, Rishabh Shah founded this organisation in 2011, with its first conference being held from 2–5 August 2012 at the World Trade Centre. With a mission to teach every young student in the world between the age group of 13-19 about local, national and international affairs and also in a bid to teach them about Indian culture, traditions and values, IIMUN was incepted in 2012 by the young founder, Rishabh Shah.
One of the central topics being discussed in all conferences is Reforms in the Security Council and getting India a permanent seat in the same, which is a topic being lobbied hard by the Prime Minister and External Affairs minister in the actual United Nations. Other issues that are discussed range from debating the 26/11 terror attacks, ISIS, environment issues, human rights concerns, economic topics such as demonetisation. The organisation also simulates councils based on Indian history and polity to sensitise students world over to our culture.
IIMUN became the world's first and only external civil society organisation to hold a full-fledged model UN conference inside the UN headquarters in New York from August 15–17, 2016 which now they annually organise. They conducted the worlds largest MUN conference in Mumbai with 7500 students. With 3000, IIMUN in 2015 conducted the worlds largest residential Model United Nations conference by renting out Aamby Valley City.
Board of advisors
The first Advisory board of IIMUN is composed of Indian luminaries who are from different walks of life. These include Deepak Parekh, Vidya Balan, Shashi Tharoor, Shashi Ruia, Nadir Godrej, Mahesh Bhupathi, Niranjan Hiranandani, Mani Shankar Aiyar, Suresh Prabhu, Subhash Ghai, Jamshed Bharucha, Viswanathan Anand, Justice Ramesh Chandra Lahoti and Prakash Shah.
Speakers who have attended/supported IIMUN conferences
The list includes H.E. Former Secretary General of the United Nations, Mr. Ban-Ki-Moon, H.E. Former President of India, Shri. Pranab Mukherjee, Bollywood Legend, Mr. Amitabh Bachchan, Chief of R.S.S Shri Mohan Bhagwat. Apart from this multiple Prime Ministers, politicians, film stars, authors, poets, sportsmen, business leaders have spoken at IIMUN conferences.
IIMUN conducts Model United Nations in 160 cities in India and 15 countries in the world. Countries visited include Bangladesh, Bahrain, Nepal, Japan, Sri Lanka, USA, Germany, Singapore, Kuwait, Belgium, Greece, Brazil, Poland etc.
- "IIMUN". IIMUN Website.
- "Take country to its previous glory". The Hindu.
- "Students talk world affairs at mock UN". The Telegraph.
- "Indian International Model United Nations hosts its first Dehradun Chapter Conference". Times of India.
- "Young Decision Makers". Youthinc Magazine.
- "SGI school wins top honours at international model UN event - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Excelsior, Daily (2016-04-29). "Heritageans host IIMUN Conference". Jammu Kashmir Latest News | Tourism | Breaking News J&K. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Students debate terror issues to mark 26/11 - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Topics like ISIS, note ban discussed". Free Press Journal.
- "A future PM is learning his first lessons of diplomacy at IIMUN: Rishab Shah". The Economic Times. 2016-08-24. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Mumbai to host world's largest mock UN conference". dna. 2016-04-08. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Desk, India com News (2015-08-21). "Dr Subhash Chandra addresses 3000 students at Indian International Model United Nations". India.com. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Advisor Board". IIMUN. Retrieved 2017-12-10.
- "YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Testimonials". IIMUN.
- Shah, Mrunal. "IIMUN-Indian International Model United Nations". www.iimun.in. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "IIMUN-Worldmap". www.iimun.in. Retrieved 2016-12-22.