I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying
|I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying|
Cover of Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken volume 1 by Ichijinsha
(Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken)
|Genre||Comedy, Slice of Life|
|Written by||Cool-kyō Shinja|
|Original run||2011 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Shinpei Nagai|
|Produced by||Dream Creation|
|Written by||Shinpei Nagai|
|Original run||October 3, 2014 – June 25, 2015|
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying (旦那が何を言っているかわからない件 Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken) is a Japanese 4-panel manga series by Cool-kyō Shinja. The chapters are released online and then published in print by Ichijinsha. The first volume was released on December 29, 2011 and the fourth volume was released on June 26, 2014. An anime adaptation began airing in Japan on October 4, 2014 and finished airing on December 25, 2014. A second season began airing on April 2, 2015 and finished airing on June 25, 2015.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2014)
The series centers around the daily lives of Kaoru, a hard working office lady, and her otaku husband, Hajime. Using popular anime and otaku tropes and in-jokes, the characters explore the conflicts and similarities between daily life and otaku culture in urban Japan. The witty dialogue accentuates the animation and sometimes slips into manzai-style humor.
- Kaoru (カオル)
- Voiced by: Yukari Tamura
- Hajime's wife. A 25-year-old office lady who is adjusting to married life with an otaku husband.
- Hajime (ハジメ)
- Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura
- Kaoru's husband (旦那 Danna) . A 23-year-old otaku who initially scrapes by living as a blogger who reviews various forms of nerd media from video games to anime. He eventually starts working as a web designer.
- Mayotama (マヨタマ)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Horino
- Hajime's cross-dressing younger brother. A popular Boys Love manga artist with a slightly perverted sense of humor.
- Rino Juse (樹瀬 リノ Juse Rino)
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya
- Kaoru's close friend since high school who's now married to Nozomu Juse.
- Nozomu Juse (樹瀬 のぞむ Nozomu Juse)
- Voiced by: Toshifumi Sakai
- Mature and good looking. Tends to forget that Rino is older than him and always treat Rino carefully.
- Tadashi (忠)
- Kaoru's father. He is very protective of Kaoru and is a highly skilled chef.
- Tanaka-san (田中さん)
- Voiced by: Ryōko Shintani
- Kaoru's other close friend since high school who's now married to Yamada-san.
An anime television series adaptation began airing in October 2014. Crunchyroll began streaming the series on October 4, 2014. The episodes are approximately three minutes long. The thirteenth episode has announced that the series has been green-lit for a second season, which premiered in April 2015.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"How I Got Into Hobbies I Don't Understand"
"Awanai shumi to hamatta Sori" (合わない趣味とハマったソリ)
|October 4, 2014|
|Kaoru reflects on her first few weeks of marriage with Hajime, including their honeymoon. Hajime is an otaku; he watches lots of anime and is into moe characters as well as boobs. They go out to see an anime film, but Hajime only thinks of critiquing it.|
|2||"Surpass Gender and Blood. Come Forth, Otokonoko..."
"Seibetsu o Koe Chi o Koe dede yo Otokonoko" (性別を超え血を超え出でよ男の娘)
|October 11, 2014|
|Hajime's brother Mayotama comes to visit, but Mayotama dresses like a little sister and is into boys love manga. Hajime breaks it to him that Kaoru is not an otaku. Later, Kaoru's friends come over to meet her new husband.|
|3||"My Otaku Brother Can't Have So Few Friends (Etc.)"
"Otaku no Ore no Otōto ga Konnani Tomodachi ga Sukunai Wake ga (ry" (オタクの俺の弟がこんなに友達が少ない訳が(ry)
|October 18, 2014|
|Hajime and Mayotama attend an offline club meeting for otakus, and end up meeting Hajime's acquaintance; Miki, who falls for Mayotama. Unfortunately, he is unaware that Mayotama is a boy with a tendency to cross-dress.|
|4||"My Husband Primarily Works in the Year-Round Home Surveillance Business"
"Danna wa Tamani Keibi-shoku ni Nenjūmukyū de Tsuiteorimasu" (旦那はたまに警備職に年中無休で就いております)
|October 22, 2014|
|Hajime suspends his blog and tries to find real employment in the workforce. In the end, he is hired as a net-designer for the business that Miki runs.|
"Dorankā Debiru" (ドランカーデビル)
|October 29, 2014|
|It is revealed that Kaoru gets very wild and out of control when she gets drunk.|
|6||"Never Cross a Bridge Till You Come To It"
"Nebā Kurosu A Burijji Tiru Yū Kamu Tu Itto" (ネバークロスアブリッジティルユーカムトゥイット)
|November 6, 2014|
|Kaoru tries to fight a smoking addiction due to a hinted pregnancy.|
|7||"What Happened When I Turned My Back to the Path I Was Used To and Started Running"
"Arukinareta Michi ni Se o Mukete Hashittemita Kekka" (歩きなれた道に背を向けて走ってみた結果)
|November 13, 2014|
|Kaoru decides she wants to learn how to cook. The couple consults her father, a professional chef.|
|8||"I'll Become a Pro Golfer"
"Puro Gorufā naru" (プロゴルファーなる)
|November 20, 2014|
|Kaoru's relatives need someone to watch their young daughter, Ai-chan, while they are at a pro golfing match. The couple obliges.|
|9||"Slathering Honey on the Best Pancakes Ever"
"Gokujō no pankēki ni hachimitsu o buchimakeru kōi" (極上のパンケーキにハチミツをぶちまける行為)
|November 27, 2014|
|To help Mayotama with his manga writing, Kaoru and Hajime describe how they met, as well as their first date.|
|10||"The Child Who Is So Close Yet So Far Away"
"Kiwamete chikaku, kagirinaku tōi kodomo" (極めて近く、限りなく遠い子供)
|December 4, 2014|
|After an unexpected visit from Hajime's mother, the couple considers and discusses having a child.|
|11||"One Person Had Survived On Her Own"
"Hito ga hitori de ikite kite" (人が一人で生きてきて)
|December 11, 2014|
|Kaoru reflects on her former living circumstances, before coming to the simple revelation that she is blessed to be married.|
|12||"Fusion Sage Day"
"Yūgōkenja no hi" (融合賢者の日)
|December 18, 2014|
|After learning Kaoru has to work on Christmas Day, Hajime decides to go to Rino and Nozomu's house to avoid being alone on the 25th.|
|13||"Me, Her, and Another"
"Boku to Kanojo to Mōhitori" (僕と彼女ともう一人)
|December 25, 2014|
|After making subtle in-anime jests at the series' imminent conclusion, Hajime and Kaoru learn that the latter is pregnant.|
|No.||Title||Original air date|
"Omoide Ugougo" (思い出うごうご)
|April 2, 2015|
|Kaoru takes Hajime with her down a trip on memory lane.|
"Sunaipu betā" (スナイプベター)
|April 9, 2015|
|Kaoru's insecurities about her marriage are raised by compatibility tests.|
|3||"Husband and Wife's XXX"
"Tsuma to Otto no Batsubatsubatsu" (妻と夫の×××)
|April 16, 2015|
|In an attempt to curb his voracious collection of anime figurines, Hajime strikes up an interest in bowling (no pun intended.... though we can't say the same about the title).|
|4||"I Only Draw Free"
"Ore wa Furī de shika egakanai" (俺はフリーでしか描かない)
|April 23, 2015|
|Mayotama gets an assistance job through Kaoru.|
|5||"Take me to the Ryokan"
"Watashi wo Ryokan ni tsurete tte" (私を旅館につれてって)
|April 30, 2015|
|Miki brings everyone along on a trip to a hot spring.|
"Sabinuki Kanojo" (さび抜きカノジョ)
|May 7, 2015|
|Nozomu tells Hajime about how he met Rino. The episode is adapted from a spin-off of the same name.|
|7||"Kaoru and Her Husband"
"Kaoru to Dan'na" (カオルと旦那)
|May 14, 2015|
|Hajime goes to a manga convention, where he discusses his marriage to Kaoru with Miki-san.|
|8||"Mayotama's Explosive Appearance"
"Nayotama Bakutan" (マヨタマ爆誕)
|May 21, 2015|
|A look into Hajime's and Mayotama's past.|
|9||"Made a Wish, It got True, and I got in Trouble"
"Nozonde kanatte okorerete" (望んで叶って怒られて)
|May 28, 2015|
|Kaoru and Hajime visit Hajime's parents, who chastise him for not getting a job.|
"Fūru Fūfu" (フールフーフ)
|June 4, 2015|
|After hearing about a cheating husband, Kaoru remembers competing with a colleague for Hajime's affection.|
|11||"The Weight of Value, and the Value of Weight"
"Kachi no Omosa to Omosa no Kachi" (価値の重さと重さの価値)
|June 11, 2015|
|Continues from where season 1 had ended.|
|12||"Baby Skip Beat"
"Beibī sukippu bīto" (ベイビースキップビート)
|June 18, 2015|
|Kaoru and Hajime consider how the baby will affect their futures.|
|13||"Happy Days"||June 25, 2015|
|Everyone gathers to think of a name for Kaoru's and Hajime's child.|
- Komori-san Can't Decline, a series by the same author
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, another series by the same author
- "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying on Crunchyroll". Crunchyroll. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "旦那が何を言っているかわからない件". Amazon Japan. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "旦那が何を言っているかわからない件 4". Amazon Japan. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Yukari Tamura, Kenichi Suzumura Star in 'I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying' Anime". Anime News Network. August 28, 2014. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "'I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying' Anime's 1st Video, New Voice Cast Unveiled". Anime News Network. September 9, 2014. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Wolf Girl & Black Prince, Joker, I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying". Anime News Network. October 4, 2014. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying' Anime Gets 2nd Season". Anime News Network. December 25, 2014. Retrieved December 27, 2014.