I Will Be There (Van Morrison song)
|"I Will Be There"|
|Song by Van Morrison|
|from the album Saint Dominic's Preview|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
|Producer(s)||Ted Templeman, Van Morrison|
|Saint Dominic's Preview track listing|
"I Will Be There" is a song featured on Northern Irish singer/songwriter Van Morrison's sixth album Saint Dominic's Preview (1972). The song is also the B-side to Morrison's single "Warm Love", released in 1973.
Recording and composition
"I Will Be There" was recorded in April 1972 at the Wally Heider Studios in San Francisco, along with "Redwood Tree". It is one of few overtly jazz songs written by Morrison, and the first since the release of "Moondance" in 1970. The song is led in by Tom Salisbury's piano. Salisbury also arranged the song, as he explains: "[I] think he was relieved to have someone like me take over the chart preparation and arrangements of the songs he still needed to record for his next album. As I have 'perfect pitch,' it was easy for me to write down Van's new songs – sometimes over the phone at 2 a.m." Also featured in the song is a saxophone solo from long serving Jack Schroer. The other members of the band used for the session were Doug Messenger on guitar, Bill Church on bass, Gary Mallaber on drums and Jules Broussard on saxophone.
John Collis says, "A hero (of Van), is evoked by the piano-led blues "I Will Be There" - the spirit of Ray Charles looms large in the song." The Rolling Stone review of Saint Dominic's Preview remarks: "'I Will Be There' goes the furthest of any (of the songs in Saint Dominic's Preview) into R&B-jazz roots, as Van pays expert musical tribute to Count Basie and Joe Williams."
It was one of the live performances recorded and included on Morrison's 1996 live album, How Long Has This Been Going On. A live performance of "I Will Be There", recorded in 1989, is featured on the video album, Van Morrison The Concert, released in 1990.
- Van Morrison: vocals
- Jules Broussard: tenor saxophone
- Bill Church: bass
- Gary Mallaber: drums
- Doug Messenger: guitar
- Tom Salisbury: piano
- Jack Schroer: alto saxophone
- Mills, Hymns to the Silence, p.13
- Wrench. Saint Dominic's Flashback, p.1818/3575
- Mills, Hymns to the Silence, pp.13-14
- Wrench. Saint Dominic's Flashback, p.1731/3575
- Mills, Hymns to the Silence, p.14
- Album notes for Saint Dominic's Preview
- Collis, Inarticulate Speech of the Heart, p.132
- Holden, Stephen (1997-06-03). "Saint Dominic's Preview Music Review". Rolling Stone Magazine. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- Album notes for Saint Dominic's Preview by Van Morrison. Warner Bros. Records.
- Collis, John (1996). Inarticulate Speech of the Heart, Little Brown and Company, ISBN 0-306-80811-0
- Mills, Peter (2010), Hymns to the Silence: Inside the Words and Music of Van Morrison, London: Continuum, ISBN 978-0-8264-2976-6
- Wrench, Peter (2012). Saint Dominic's Flashback: Van Morrison's Classic Album, Forty Years On, FeedARead. Kindle Edition. ISBN 9781781768600