Ice Station Santa
|Sam & Max: Ice Station Santa|
The GameTap title card for "Ice Station Santa"
|Designer(s)||Brendan Q. Ferguson
|Series||Sam & Max: Season Two|
November 9, 2007 (Online)
"Ice Station Santa" is the first episode of Sam & Max Season Two created by Telltale Games and published by GameTap. The episode's title is a play on the movie/book title "Ice Station Zebra", a story set in the cold war period.
Synopsis & Plot
After dealing with a giant robot that is intent on destroying the duo as well as razing the local city block near their offices, Sam and Max learn that the Maimtron 9000 was actually a gift from Santa Claus.
The two head to the North Pole and find the two remaining elves in Santa's workshop cowering, as Santa keeps shooting at them with a machine gun. Sam and Max find evidence that an evil demon is running amok at the North Pole, and work at collecting The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse action figures to use as part of a ritual to bring the demon forward so they can capture it and free Santa.
However, to their surprise, the demon never had possessed Santa; Santa had feared one of the elves had been possessed, and runs off to fight the demon, a blue, goo-like creature with four arms and multiple eyes, known as Shambling Corporate Presence. Sam and Max work to complete the final part of the ritual: calling forth the three Spirits of Christmas (Past, Present, and Future). Each of the Spirits offers to help, but only if Sam and Max correct a Christmas they had ruined in the respective time periods.
After satisfying each of the tasks, the Spirits proceed to help Sam and Max and reduce the Shambling Corporate Presence to a plate of Jell-o, which Santa inadvertently eats, becoming infused with the evil demon.
Sam and Max are able to knock Santa out, and after determining that the demon should have been delivered to Satan, send the possessed Santa on his way. The Soda Poppers then return as well as the elves and they begin to prepare for Christmas. When asked who can deliver the presents Sam and Max jump at the chance only to leave without loading the gifts. When Sam brings this up Max reminds him that it is still November.
- The title is based on the 1968 movie Ice Station Zebra.
- In many ways, the Punch-Out!! game series is parodied, a few examples
- The two boxers before Jimmy Two-Teeth represent Glass Joe and Bald Bull.
- The music that plays when Jimmy's boxing glove is returned greatly resembles the main theme.
- Like Little Mac, Boxing Betty sticks out like Hugh Bliss in Hell. (Except Hugh was a colony of alien bacteria.)
- "Sam & Max Confirmed for XboxLIVE! Arcade". 2008-02-26.
- Telltale's Sam & Max website
- Playable demo
- Sam & Max Nearly Save Christmas website
- Ice Station Santa at MobyGames