If You Were the Only Girl in the World
|"If You Were The Only Girl In The World"|
|'Upstairs, Downstairs' episode|
|Episode no.||Season 4
|Directed by||Raymond Menmuir|
|Written by||John Hawkesworth|
|Original air date||26 October 1974|
If You Were The Only Girl In The World was filmed in the studio on 3 and 18 June 1974, with the location footage being filmed on 12 and 13 June 1974. The rowing scenes were filmed at Frensham Ponds in Surrey and the French château scenes were filmed at Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire. The episode was set in the summer of 1916.
- Gordon Jackson - Hudson
- Jean Marsh - Rose
- Meg Wynn Owen - Hazel Bellamy
- Joan Benham - Lady Prudence Fairfax
- Joyce Heron - Lady Berkhamstead
- Lesley-Anne Down - Georgina Worsley
- Simon Williams - James Bellamy
- Jacqueline Tong - Daisy
- Mel Churcher - Angela Barclay
- Celia Imrie - Jenny
- Patricia MacRae - Sister Menzies
- Neville Hughes - Lt. Cmdr. Rupert Machin
- Richard Ownes - Lt. Bowman
- Venetia Maxwell - Mrs Vowles
- Sarah Twist - Lucy
- Brian Nolan - Man
- Kenneth MacDonald - Soldier
- William Ashley - Patron
- Andrew Ray - Lt. Jack Dyson RFC
The tea party that was arranged by Hazel and Lady Prudence in Home Fires takes place in the Morning Room of 165, Eaton Place, and only three officers are there, along with Lady Berkhamstead and Mrs Vowles. Hazel befriends a shy, young airman called Jack Dyson, who like her has risen from the middle class. Lt. Jack Dyson MC and Hazel Bellamy soon start going out with each other. They go boating, see a show and go dancing, where they kiss passionately. The day before he goes back to the Front, Dyson goes to Eaton Place to say goodbye, but Hazel is out at the canteen. He then writes her a note, calling her his "only girl in the World".
Meanwhile, Georgina is now a nurse in France, along with her friend Angela Barclay and Jenny. James is now a Major, and when he arrives at Georgina's hospital, they spend the day together. When they separate at the end of the day, they kiss.
- Marson, Richard (2005). "Inside UpDown - The Story of Upstairs, Downstairs". Kaleidoscope Publishing.