Impact Fighting Championships
|Founder||Andrew Mcmanus, Thomas Huggins|
|Thomas Huggins - Creator and event organizer|
Impact Fighting Championships (Impact FC) was an Australian mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion. The promotion held two of three planned events in July 2010 featuring veteran fighters of Ultimate Fighting Championship and Pride Fighting Championships. Impact FC was financed by Australian concert promoter Andrew McManus and created, organized, and produced by Brazilian promoter Tom Huggins, who helped promote Elite Xtreme Combat,Extreme Cagefufgting,Bitetti Combat, and many other MMA events.
The promoters planned to put on three events in a single month in order gauge the interest of Australian fans to mixed martial arts. The first event, held on 10 July 2010 was expected to have a crowd over 1000 in the arena and be broadcast to a world-wide audience of 2.5 million. Following the second event controversy arose over payments to the fighters participating in the event. The fighters had left the arena following the show and traveled home without being paid for the event, going against many boxing and MMA commissions rules, though Thomas Huggins did directly contact the Commission to notify them of Andrew McManus’ failure to pay fighters as the licensed promoter, before any fighters left however the Commission said it had no power to force McManus to pay. Some fighters did receive partial payments in later weeks, but many were reporting they had gone unpaid. Huggins who had created the event had intended it to be a larger series of fights functioning as a collective of promoters licensing and sharing the Brand in many territories and had recruited local promoters around the world to work under this banner, however after McManus’ failure to pay fighters Huggins and the other promoters felt the brand was effectively ruined and had to abandon it.
List of events
Impact FC 1
Dylan Andrews was rumored to fight Steven Kennedy, but it was never officially scheduled.
Luis Dutra Jr. was forced off the card because he separated his biceps. Ben Mortimer was Luis Dutra's replacement.
- Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Ben Mortimer
- Parisyan defeated Mortimer via submission (rear naked choke) at 4:18 of the second round.
- Waters defeated Mahony via TKO (punches) at 1:38 of the second round.
- Fernandes defeated Hemara via submission (rear naked choke) at 3:58 of the first round.
- Meller defeated Bradney via submission (guillotine) at 1:32 of the first round.
- Ebersole defeated Newton via unanimous decision.
- Heavyweight bout: Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Joaquim Ferreira
- Sokoudjou defeated Ferreira via TKO (punches) at 1:20 of the first round.
- Heavyweight bout: Jeff Monson vs. Bira Lima
- Monson defeated Lima via unanimous decision.
- Heavyweight bout: Josh Barnett vs. Geronimo dos Santos
- Barnett defeated dos Santos via TKO (punches) at 2:35 of the first round.
Impact FC 2
Big John McCarthy was the referee for the series.
- Rizzo defeated Shamrock via TKO (leg kicks and punches) at 3:33 of the first round.
- Daley defeated Acacio via submission (elbow) at 1:15 of the third round.
- Palelei defeated Morris via submission (americana) at 4:20 of the first round.
- Filho and Kang fought to a draw (split) at 5:00 of the third round. The judges scored the fight 29-28, 27-30 and 29-29.
- Middleweight bout: Murilo Rua vs. Jeremy May
- Rua defeated May via submission (guillotine choke) at 4:12 of the first round.
- Taylor defeated Bustamante via TKO (verbal tap) at 2:10 of the second round.
- York defeated Graham via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:44 of the first round.
- Light Heavyweight bout: Glover Teixeira vs. Marko Peselj
- Teixeira defeated Peselj via TKO (punches) at 3:01 of the first round.
- Lightweight bout: Richie Vaculik vs. Glenn Taylor-Smith
- Vaculik defeated Taylor-Smith via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:16 of the second round.
- Rodriguez defeated Nix via technical submission (north-south choke) at 4:22 of the first round.
- Alonso, Marcelo (13 May 2010). "Interview with Tom Huggins: A brain storm about MMA in Brazil and US". Portaldovt.com.br. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Exclusive: Impact FC Hasn't Paid Its Fighters; Promoters Blame Each Other". CagePotato. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Nancarrow, Dan (9 July 2010). "The rise of rage in a cage". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Alonso, Marcelo (21 August 2009). "Arona, Filho, Rizzo Return to Brazilian Roots for Bitetti Combat". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Holland, Jesse (29 July 2010). "Impact FC: Salries not coming from a land down under". MMAMania.com. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Non, Sergio (29 July 2010). "Impact FC fighters still waiting for payment". USA Today. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Impact FC 1 - The Uprising: Brisbane". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- Sherdog.com. "Rumored Fights". tapology.com. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Sherdog.com. "Fraternizing, Giant Puddle Dominate Impact FC Presser". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Impact FC 2 - The Uprising: Sydney". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2010-06-21.
- "Impact Promoter: Sapp Never Signed Contract, Replaced by Morris". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2010-07-15.