In the Year 2889 (film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|In the Year 2889|
Betamax Video Cover
|Directed by||Larry Buchanan|
|Produced by||Larry Buchanan|
|Written by||Harold Hoffman|
|Cinematography||Robert C. Jessup|
|Edited by||Larry Buchanan|
In the Year 2889 (also known as Year 2889) is a 1967 made-for-television, post-apocalyptic science fiction film from American International Pictures about the aftermath of a future nuclear war. The film stars Paul Petersen, Quinn O'Hara, Charla Doherty, Neil Fletcher and Hugh Feagin. AIP commissioned low-budget cult film auteur Larry Buchanan to produce and direct this film as a color remake of Roger Corman's 1955 film Day the World Ended.
A nuclear war has wiped out most of Earth's population. The film follows a group of survivors who are holed up in a secluded valley and must protect themselves from rising radiation levels, mutants, and in some cases, each other.
- Paul Petersen as Steve
- Quinn O'Hara as Jada
- Charla Doherty as Joanna Ramsey
- Neil Fletcher as Captain John Ramsey
- Hugh Feagin as Mickey Brown
- Max W. Anderson as Granger
- Bill Thurman as Tim Henderson
- Byron Lord as Mutant
AIP gave Buchanan the script of the 1955 Corman film Day the World Ended to use for this film, resulting in an almost line-for-line, scene-for-scene remake.
This was Buchanan's fifth Azalea Productions film. It was made by AIP six years after the success of their 1961 Jules Verne adaptation Master of the World. Because this was an even lower budget remake of the earlier low budget Corman film, it needed a new title; AIP already had a registered title available (for a previously unmade Verne project), so it was used on the Buchanan film.
In the Year 2889 was completed and released in 1967 as a made-for-television movie. All promotional materials, including the original listing in TV Guide, have the title as Year 2889, but the on-screen credits give the correct title.
Paul Gaita from Allmovie called the film " threadbare and blandly executed", but also noted that the film's pacing, and performances were more professional than the director's previous efforts. Finishing his review, Gaita wrote, "No one will mistake this for a classic of the genre, or even one of Corman's titles, but for Buchanan completists and late movie devotees, it's a harmless and agreeable time-killer."
- Goodsell, Greg. "The Weird and Wacky World of Larry Buchanan". Filmfax (38 April/May 1993): 64.
- "Jules Verne Book: In the Year 2889". JulesVerne.ca.
- Verne, Jules & Verne, Michael, & Metcalf, Lorettus S. (Editor) (February 1889). "In the Year 2889". The Forum. VI (6): 662–677.
- "In the Year 2889". ApocalypticMovies.com.
- gaita, Paul. "In the Year 2889 (1966) - Larry Buchanan". Allmovie.com. Paul Gaita. Retrieved 16 March 2018.