|Studio album by Tad|
|Released||October 19, 1993|
|Recorded||Studio D, Sausalito, California|
Inhaler is the third studio album by American grunge band Tad, released on October 19, 1993 by Giant Records and Warner Bros. Records. It was the band's major label debut after two records and an EP released by Sub Pop, and it was also their first album with drummer Josh Sinder, formerly of The Accüsed. Tad toured with Soundgarden to promote Inhaler although the band failed to obtain worldwide success; but the record is widely regarded to be the band's strongest and obtained positive critical reception upon release.
The song "Grease Box" was played during the end credits of the 1994 movie Brainscan starring Edward Furlong.
Music and lyrics
Inhaler features a grunge and alternative metal sound with hooks and melodies. On the record's sound, Chicago Tribune's Greg Kot wrote: "Not only does it capture some of the wicked humor and pile-driving groove of the band's live show, it also finds [Tad] Doyle singing more or less on key."
Before being signed to Giant Records for this album, TAD had released "Lycanthrope" (with "Just Bought the Farm" as its B-side) as a single on Pusmort Records in 1992, even while still with Sub Pop. Both songs later appeared on Inhaler.
Tad only released one single from this album while with Giant - "Leafy Incline." Its B-side was "Pale Corkscrew," which does not appear on the album.
AllMusic senior critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine praised J Mascis' production work on the album, stating that the band "gets a more focused and driven sound." Erlewine also regarded the record as "easily their best and most consistent album to date." Entertainment Weekly's Tom Sinclair described the album as "alternative metal at its finest-bruising ham-handed, and catchy as hell," and compared it to a "a poppier Helmet."
The album was featured as number 13 on Spin's 2004 list of "The 20 Greatest Grunge Albums of All Time."
- All Songs Written & Arranged By TAD (Tad Doyle, Gary Thorstensen, Kurt Danielson, Josh Sinder)
- "Grease Box" - 3:54
- "Throat Locust" - 4:04
- "Leafy Incline" - 3:30
- "Luminol" - 4:42
- "Ulcer" - 4:37
- "Lycanthrope" - 3:34
- "Just Bought the Farm" - 4:15
- "Rotor" - 4:04
- "Paregoric" - 4:12
- "Pansy" - 2:48
- "Gouge" - 3:20
- John Agnello - mixing
- Larry Brewer - engineering
- Kurt Danielson - bass
- Tad Doyle - vocals, guitar
- George Marino - mastering
- J Mascis - producer, piano (Track 4)
- Josh Sinder - drums
- Gary Thorstensen - guitar
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Tad - Inhaler". AllMusic. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Sinclair, Tom (October 22, 1993). "Music Capsule Review: Inhaler". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on April 21, 2009. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Kot, Greg (November 19, 1993). "First Take: They Want To Go From Tad To Worse". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 6, 2016.
- "The 20 Greatest Grunge Albums of All Time". Spin. 20 (4): 63. April 2004.