Inn of the Damned
|Inn of the Damned|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Terry Bourke|
|Produced by||Terry Bourke
|Written by||Terry Bourke|
|Music by||Bob Young|
|Edited by||Rod Hay|
|Distributed by||Roadshow Entertainment|
|13 November 1975 (Australia)|
|Box office||AU$178,000 (Australia)|
In 1896, a crazed woman and her husband run an inn in eastern Victoria and take revenge for the deaths of their children years before. A bounty hunter arrives to investigate the mysterious deaths of many people and puts an end to the killing.
- Judith Anderson as Caroline Straulle
- Alex Cord as Cal Kincaid
- Michael Craig as Paul Melford
- Joseph Furst as Lazar Straulle
- Tony Bonner as Trooper Moore
- John Meillon as George Parr
Like Bourke's previous feature, Night of Fear, the movie was originally a one-hour script intended for a projected TV series, Fright.
It was filmed in the Mangrove Mountain region of the NSW Central Coast and at Artransa Studios in Sydney. Filming began in November 1973 and took nine weeks but the film was not released until late in 1975. Shooting was marred by disputes between the producers and its principal investor, Australian Film Development Corporation. At the time it was the most expensive local movie made in Australia.
AllMovie called it "more odd than good", and "best viewed as a curiosity." DVD Verdict wrote, "as curiosities go, this Australian horror western (?) from the early '70s definitely deserves some attention."
- David Stratton, The Last New Wave: The Australian Film Revival, Angus & Robertson, 1980 p263
- Australian Films at the Box Office - Report to Film Victoria Archived 9 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 5 October 2012
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper, Australian Film 1900–1977: A Guide to Feature Film Production, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1998, p 295
- Guarisco, Donald. "Inn of the Damned (1974) - Review - AllMovie". AllMovie. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Gibron, Bill (1 May 2009). "DVD Verdict Review - The Drive-In Cheezy Movie Collection". DVD Verdict. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Umbrella Entertainment - INN OF THE DAMNED/NIGHT OF FEAR (Double Feature)". umbrellaent.com. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 1970s horror film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|