Insight (public organization)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Insight is a Ukrainian LGBTQI organization. Unlike most Ukrainian LGBT organizations focused on work with gay men and MSM, Insight’s priority is to help lesbians, bisexual women, transgender, queer and intersex people. Insight is one of the few public organizations in working with transgender people.
History and activities
In 2010, Insight with the financial support of ILGA Europe and ASTRAEA conducted the first in sociological study of the situation of transgender people «Situation of transgender persons in Ukraine».
In 2011, with the financial support of the Heinrich Böll Foundation (Warsaw) the first in Ukraine study of the situation of LGBT families «LGBT families in Ukraine: social practices and legal regulation» was conducted.
In 2012, with the financial support of amFAR the study «Civil rights of transgender people» was conducted.
In 2013, Insight presented the shadow report «Human Rights Violations of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) People in Ukraine» at the 108th Session of the UN Human Rights Committee in Geneva, resulting in receiving 6 recommendations for SOGI by Ukraine after the Universal Periodic Review, 2 of which concerned the sex change procedure in Ukraine.
In 2014, with the support of the Norwegian Helsinki Committee for Human Rights Insight developed and published an illustrated textbook «ABC of LGBT rights» focused on a wide range of readers, and the brochure «Sexual orientation and gender identity: questions and answers».
On March 31, 2016, the International Transgender Day of Visibility, Insight published a brochure «Transgender people in Ukraine: social barriers and discrimination» which contains the most typical examples of violations of the rights of transgender people and legal comments to them.
Insight is a part of the Coalition for Combating Discrimination in Ukraine, ILGA and Transgender Europe. Also, the organization is working with other Ukrainian human rights NGOs, in particular with the project No Borders of the Social Action Centre.
- "Situation of transgender persons in Ukraine. Research report" (PDF).
- "ЛГБТ-сім'ї в Україні: Соціальні практики та законодавче регулювання" (PDF).
- "Дотримання громадянських прав трансгендерних людей" (PDF).
- "Human Rights Violations of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) People in Ukraine: A Shadow Report" (PDF).
- "ABC of LGBT rights".
- "Сексуальна орієнтація та гендерна ідентичність: питання та відповіді".
- "Transgender people in Ukraine: social barriers and discrimination" (PDF).
- "Social Action Centre and INSIGHT NGO invite all LGBTIQ activist to participate in a research aimed to deffine [sic] awareness of Ukrainian LGBTIQ community in the fields of discrimination and hate crimes".