Institute for Environmental Policy in Albania
The Institute for Environmental Policy or short IEP (Albanian: Instituti i Politikave Mjedisore) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in November 2008 in Tirana, Albania which promotes environmental sustainability in Albania.
- conduct scientific research and studies in the field of environment;
- develop and implement environmental policy;
- dedication to environmental protection and nature in harmony with life and human activities;
- influencing of the Albanian society towards the protection of nature, efficient use of natural resources, maximizing the use of renewable energy, awareness raising and education of the community regarding global warming and finding ways and methods to fight this phenomenon, awareness raising of the community regarding recycling and finding innovative ways in this field, achieving and sustaining a natural and artificial environment that maximally protects the health of people, combating environmental pollution and restoration of environmentally degraded areas;
- enhance environmental awareness and action to address major environmental threats among the government, the private sector, civil society, and the community;
- develop programs for environmental sustainability and wise management of the environment;
- develop new and strengthening existing legal, economic and policy instruments, institutional frameworks, policy coordination and information exchange, and promoting the involvement of the private environmental policy dialogue and development;
- develop environmental assessment;
- commit to gender equality in all our projects, policies and other activities;
- raise capacities and awareness on sustainable agriculture practices and enhancing awareness on the impact of agriculture and industrial farming on environment, food security and climate change.
IEP projects are primarily concentrated on (but not limited to) the following areas:
- Climate change
- Sustainable living
- Renewable energy
- Ecosystems and people
- Waste and recycling
- Water management
- Gender and environment
- Organic farming
IEP is trying to raise the awareness of the Albanian public and government on the climate change impacts in Albania through various projects and articles in the Albanian media and the international media.
Environment and EU integration
The project consists on the identification of the problems that Albania will face in the path towards EU integration regarding the environmental aspect. It will also push the policy makers to work more on the environmental sector, as a vital sector not just for the EU integration of Albania, but also for the economy and sustainable development of the country.
- Institute for Environmental Policy Euro Partners Development. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- Albania Eswa. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "ConstructedWetland for Nutrient Reductions in the Waters of the Tirana River" (PDF). REC. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Johnson, Nathan. "Reclaiming biodiversity". Green Horizon. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Climate change effects in Albania Climate Frontlines
- First report of environmental assessment of Tirana River IW:Learn. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- EU Integration and Environment — public perception and discourse in Albania Institute for Environmental Policy. Retrieved 24 December 2013.