Interactive Scenario Builder
|Developer(s)||Advanced Tactical Environmental Simulation Team|
3.3.5 / June 12, 2017
|Type||RF Tactical Decision Aid|
Interactive Scenario Builder (Builder) is a modeling and simulation, three-dimensional application developed by the Advanced Tactical Environmental Simulation Team (ATEST) at the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) that aids in understanding the radio frequency (RF) environment.
- RF Tactical Decision Aid
- Creation/Generation of Complex Electronic Warfare (EW) Synthetic Environments (Scenarios)
- Simulation of Both Hardware and/or Modeling of Existing and Future EW Systems
- Visualization of the RF Capabilities of Platforms
- Modeling the Communication of Radar Systems by Calculating One-way and Two-way RF Propagation Loss
- Pre-Mission Planning
- Near-Realtime, Geospatial and Temporal Situational Awareness
- After-Action Debriefing
- Support to Operations (Ops)
- Surface EW Test and Evaluation (T&E)
- Options Development
- Targeting Support
- ENEWS used Builder 2 to support the design, specification, and evaluation of EA-6B and AN/SLY-2 (AIEWS) EW systems from the conceptual through the design stages.
- The Fleet Information Warfare Center (FIWC) used Builder 2 to assist in EW asset scheduling and allocation during Operation Desert Fox and the Kosovo campaign.
- The U.S. Army’s 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) used Builder 2 for mission planning and mission rehearsal.
Builder is developed by the:
- Advanced Tactical Environmental Simulation Team (ATEST) (Code 5774)
- Electronic Warfare Modeling & Simulation (EW M&S) Branch (Code 5770)
- Tactical Electronic Warfare Division (TEWD) (Code 5700)
- Systems Directorate (Code 5000)
- Naval Research Laboratory (NRL)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
A listing in the Department of Defense (DoD) Modeling and Simulation Resource Registry (MSRR) states that "The primary objective of the Electronic Warfare Modeling and Simulation Branch is to develop and utilize tools for effectiveness evaluations of present, proposed, and future electronic warfare (EW) concepts, systems, and configurations for U.S. Naval Units." The EW M&S Branch used to be known as the Effectiveness of Navy Electronic Warfare Systems (ENEWS) Group (Code 5707) cerca 2005. At that time, the Builder Team was under Code 5707.4. In an NRL "Solicitation, Offer and Award" document, the "Statement of Work" section states that "Code 5707 has historically developed simulations of naval EW systems, anti-ship threats, and military communication systems to support the development, fielding and testing of electronic and weapons systems."
- Office of Naval Research (ONR), a sponsor of Builder development
- Naval Research Laboratory (NRL)
- SIMDIS, another application developed by the EW M&S Branch
- Interactive Scenario Builder Website
- Advanced Tactical and Environmental Simulation Team Website
- 2008 NRL Review Article: "CREW Modeling of Effectiveness and Compatibility for Operational Test and Evaluation"
- "Navy Modeling & Simulation Registered Resources". Navy Modeling & Simulation Office. Archived from the original on 2012-03-24. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Department of Defense (DoD) Modeling and Simulation Resource Repository (MSRR)". Defense Modeling and Simulation Office. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "NRL Web Sites". United States Naval Research Laboratory. Retrieved 2010-02-24.
Interactive Scenario Builder 3 (5774)
- Darken, Rudolph P.; Hill, Tobin A.; Solan, Brian T.; Brookes, Charles B. "A Hybrid Virtual Environment Interface to Electronic Warfare Information". Proceedings of the 1996 Modeling, Simulation, and Virtual Prototyping Conference. CiteSeerX .
- Schuette, L. C. and B. T. Solan (2000). "Electronic Warfare Simulation and Analysis". 2000 NRL Review. United States Naval Research Laboratory: 193–195. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- Heyer, J. and L. C. Schuette (2004). "Unattended Ground Sensor Network". 2004 NRL Review. United States Naval Research Laboratory. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- Murphy, Richard M. (Sep 2005). "Analysis of High-Resolution COAMPS (Trademark) With Observed METOC Data to Demonstrate Atmospheric Impact on EM Propagation" (PDF). Master's Thesis. Naval Postgraduate School Monterey CA Dept. of Meteorology. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Engineering & Scientific Software - System Simulators". RF Cafe. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "Interactive Scenario Builder 3" (PDF). United States Naval Research Laboratory. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 14, 2007. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "Information Warfare Planning Capability" (PDF). General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "FY 2006/2007 RDT&E,N Budget Item Justification Sheet" (PDF). Defense Technical Information Center. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- Olsen, Peter (2002). "Issues in Modeling Military Space". Air Force Institute of Technology: 80. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "Systems Directorate - Code 5000". United States Naval Research Laboratory. Retrieved 2010-02-24.
- "Solicitation, Offer and Award" (PDF). United States Naval Research Laboratory. Retrieved 2008-06-03.