Interstate 220 (Louisiana)
|Maintained by Louisiana DOTD|
|Length:||17.62 mi (28.36 km)|
1991 (completed) – present
|West end:||I-20 / LA 3132 in Shreveport|
US 71 in Shreveport
|East end:||I-20 in Bossier City|
Interstate 220 (I-220) in Louisiana is an east–west bypass route around Shreveport, Louisiana in the northwestern corner of the state. It runs 17.62 miles (28.36 km) from I-20 and LA 3132 in Shreveport to a second interchange with I-20 in Bossier City.
Interstate 220 begins at Interstate 20 in western Shreveport at the northern end of Louisiana Highway 3132 near Shreveport Regional Airport. I-220 heads northeast towards Cross Lake, where it passes through northern Shreveport, curving in an eastern direction at US 71, before crossing the Red River near the Shreveport Downtown Airport. East of the Red River, I-220 enters Bossier City, continuing east through the northern parts of that city until curving south towards I-20 at Shed Road (exit 15). I-220 ends at I-20 at the southwest corner of the Louisiana Downs racetrack.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2012)|
There have been proposals to extend the highway eastward over the Red River and then northward to complete the loop by reaching Interstate 20, but Barksdale Air Force Base is in the way of a direct route to join up with the beginning of I-220. Aerial imagery shows ramp stubs for a possible extension southward from its eastern terminus with I-20.
There are five options currently in contention for closing the gap in I-49 in Shreveport. Four of these options involve the construction of a new alignment extending from the existing I-49/I-20 interchange to the I-49/I-220 interchange currently under construction. This direct connection, known as the Inner City Connector, is controversial due to its path being projected through a residential neighborhood, which would necessitate the displacement of many of its residents. The fifth option involves routing through traffic via the existing LA 3132 and I-220 alignments after necessary improvements to those highways are carried out.
|1B–C||I-20 / LA 3132 east to I-49 – Dallas, Monroe, Alexandria||Western terminus of I-220 and LA 3132;
Signed as Exit 1B to Dallas and 1C to Monroe; I-20 exit 11
|1A||Jefferson Paige Road||Eastbound to US 79/80; Jefferson Paige Road is PR 18 (not signed)|
|Bridge over Cross Lake|
|5||LA 173 (Blanchard Road)||Alternate local name: Shreveport–Blanchard Highway|
|I-49 north – Texarkana||South end of new I-49 segment scheduled to open in spring 2018|
|7A–B||US 71 / LA 1 – Shreveport, Texarkana||Signed as Exit 7A to Shreveport and 7B to Texarkana|
|Bridge over Red River|
|11||LA 3 (Benton Road) – Benton, Bossier City|
|12||LA 3105 (Airline Drive) – Bossier City|
|13||Swan Lake Road|
|17A||US 79 / US 80 (East Texas Street) – Racetrack|
|17B||I-20 – Shreveport, Monroe||Eastern terminus; eastbound exit and westbound entrance;
Signed as Exit 17B to I-20 west (no exit number for I-20 east); I-20 exit 26
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Staff (October 31, 2002). "Table 1: Main Routes of the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System Of Interstate and Defense Highways as of October 31, 2002". Route Log and Finder List. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Google (July 14, 2013). "Overview Map of I-220" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Google (October 4, 2014). "Location of I-220/I-20 Interchange, with Ramp Stubs" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Warner, Doug (February 25, 2015). "Filling the Gap: Will I-49 go through Shreveport, or around?". Shreveport: KSLA-TV. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- Warner, Doug (March 21, 2015). "CC to DC: I-49 inner city connector "It's a no brainer"". Shreveport: KSLA-TV. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- "I-49 Inner-City Connector–Shreveport". I-49 Inner-City Connector–Shreveport. 2013. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- Heyen, Curtis (May 30, 2017). "Louisiana to Open Part of New Stretch of I-49 on Wednesday". Shreveport: KSLA. Retrieved June 3, 2017.
Route map: Google
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Interstate 220 (Louisiana).|