|Born||Ion Lucretiu Stoica|
|Institutions||University of California Berkeley
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University|
|Thesis||Stateless Core: A Scalable Approach for Quality of Service in the Internet (2000)|
|Doctoral advisor||Hui Zhang|
|Notable awards||ACM Fellow|
Ion Lucretiu Stoica is a Romanian-American computer scientist specializing in distributed systems, cloud computing and computer networking. He is a professor of computer science at the University of California Berkeley and co-director of AMPLab. He co-founded Conviva, and Databricks, with other original developers of Apache Spark.
Stoica was born and raised in Romania and educated at the Polytechnic University of Bucharest, graduating with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1989. He went on to study at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) gaining a Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering in 2000 supervised by Hui Zhang. Subjects included Chord (peer-to-peer), Core-Stateless Fair Queueing (CSFQ), and Internet Indirection Infrastructure (i3).
Stoica's research interests included cloud computing, networking, distributed systems and big data. He authored or co-authored more than 100 peer reviewed papers in various areas of computer science.
Stoica was a co-founder and chief technology officer of Conviva in 2006, a company that came out of the End System Multicast project at CMU. In 2013 he co-founded Databricks, serving as its chief executive until being replaced by Ali Ghodsi in January 2016, when he became executive chairman.
Stoica won the Association for Computing Machinery doctoral dissertation Award in 2001. Stoica is the recipient of a SIGCOMM Test of Time Award (2011), the 2007 CoNEXT Rising Star Award, a Sloan Foundation Fellowship (2003) and a PECASE Award (2002). Stoica is also an ACM Fellow.
- Ion Stoica publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Ion Stoica at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Stoica, I.; Morris, R.; Karger, D.; Kaashoek, M. F.; Balakrishnan, H. (2001). "Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications" (PDF). ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. 31 (4): 149. doi:10.1145/964723.383071.
- Ion Stoica author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Dabek, Frank; Kaashoek, M. Frans; Karger, David; Morris, Robert; Stoica, Ion (2001). "Wide-area cooperative storage with CFS". ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review. 35 (5): 202. doi:10.1145/502059.502054. ISSN 0163-5980.
- Stoica, Ion Lucretiu (2000). Stateless Core: A Scalable Approach for Quality of Service in the Internet. proquest.com (PhD thesis). Carnegie Mellon University. ISBN 9783540219606. OCLC 249141703.
- Armbrust, Michael; Stoica, Ion; Zaharia, Matei; Fox, Armando; Griffith, Rean; Joseph, Anthony D.; Katz, Randy; Konwinski, Andy; Lee, Gunho; Patterson, David; Rabkin, Ariel (2010). "A view of cloud computing". Communications of the ACM. 53 (4): 50. doi:10.1145/1721654.1721672. ISSN 0001-0782.
- Ion Stoica at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Ion Stoica's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- "Our Team". Conviva web site. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Former SICS-researcher Ali Ghodsi new CEO of Databricks". RISE web site. January 13, 2016. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Ion Stoica - Award Winner". awards.acm.org. Association for Computing Machinery.