This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||"The Future is Here"|
|President||Dr. Idris Hadi Salih|
100 mt. Street, near Filkey Baz (Square), across Qazi Muhammad, 44001, Erbil, Krg, Iraq|
|Campus||Erbil Campus, Sulaimani Campus|
|ISO 9001:2008 CERTIFIED|
Ishik University(Kurdish زانکۆی ئیشک- هەولێر or Zankoy Ishik) (IU) ISHIK UNIVERSITY is a private university established in 2008 in Erbil-Kurdistan, Iraq and owned by local and Turkish investors and educators. Ishik University is granted ISO 9001:2008 Certificate for the Quality Management System and is a member in the Union of Arabic Universities. The University has adopted a Quality Assurance System for ensuring high standards of quality in the teaching, learning and researching processes. Ishik University aims at raising students with global values without ignoring the local ones and it provides a disciplined-work and studying atmosphere and effective teaching processes through providing modern technical facilities and by combining theory with practice. The University offers equal opportunities to students and staff from all nationalities and cultures. Ishik offers the students the opportunity of participating in the 'Double Diploma' and 'Exchange Programs' with other universities around the world.
History of Ishik University
ISHIK University was officially founded in 2008 with a ceremony in which Kurdistan Regional Government Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani, parliamentarians and bureaucrats, along with parliamentarians from Turkey were present.
- In 2008-2009, the education started with the English Prep only with 160 students on the Brayaty Campus located on 60 meter road. During 2009-2010, students were accepted in 5 Bachelor Degree Programs and 8 English Prep Programs. In the same year, the campus was enlarged by the conversion of unused area of an Industrial School and some other buildings into the Education Faculty. This place served as the old campus of the university for about 3 years.
- In 2010-2011, all the faculties covering 9 Bachelor Programs, except for Prep School, were carried to the new campus on 100 meter road. The next year, Prep School was also transferred to the new campus where two buildings were in services: main building and the Dentistry Faculty building. During 2011-2013, it became the Center of TOEFL and Continuing Education.
- 2014-2015 Academic Year has become a turning point for the University from many angles:
- A new building dedicated to the Faculty of Education was constructed. - Ishik Sulaimani campus branch was opened and started education with prep classes of Engineering and Business Faculties. - The Ishik Research Center and Engineering Consultation Bureau were established. - The University was certified with ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System. - Memorandum of Understanding with more than 40 universities from around 20 countries all over the world was signed. - Student Exchange Programs started with 16 students. - Double Diploma opportunity with University of North American University in Huston Texas was implemented. - Ishik became a member of the Global Engineering Deans Council (GEDC). - Ishik became a member of the Association of Arab Universities.
- In 2015-2016, the University started the process of gaining the International Academic Accreditation Certificate for the Civil Engineering Programme.
- In 2016-2017, the followings were achieved:
- Civil Engineering Programme was granted the International Academic Accreditation Certificate without any conditions by the German Agency ZeVA which is a member in the European Association of Quality Assurance of Higher Education 'ENQA' and a member in the German Union of Accreditation 'ECA'. - Three new Bachelor programmes were established: Surveying and Geomatics Engineering, Petroleum and Mining Engineering and Mechatronics Engineering. - Joint Master Programmes have been opened in cooperation with Erbil Polytechnic University in three specialties: Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering and Mechanical and Energy Engineering. - Staff Exchange Programme was applied with Keylana University in Sri Lanka. - Official recognition of Ishik University by Ministry of Higher Education in Iraq on August 24, 2017.
Dr. Idris Hadi Salih
- Vice President
Dr. Mehmet Özdemir
Governing bodies of ISHIK University are: the Higher Board of Trustees and the University Council. In addition to these governing bodies, the Academic Evaluation and Quality Assurance Board has been established. In the lower levels, there is a 'Faculty Council' at each faculty and a 'Departmental Board' at each department.
Units at Ishik
- Prep School
- Continuing Education Center
- CISCO Networking Academy
- Ishik University Research Center
- TOEFL IBT Test Center
- Ishik Career Center
- Engineering Consultation Bureau (IECB)
Programmes offered at ISHIK University
- Dentistry (5 academic years)
- Pharmacy (5 academic years)
- Medical Analyses (4 academic years)
- Architecture Engineering (4 academic years)
- Civil Engineering (4 academic years)
- Interior Design Engineering 4 academic years)
- Computer Engineering (4 academic years)
- Mechatronic Engineering (4 academic years)
- Petroleum and Mining Engineering (4 academic years)
- Surveying and Geomatics Engineering (4 academic years)
- Law (5 academic years)
- Business and Management (4 academic years)
- Banking and Finance (4 academic years)
- Accounting (4 academic years)
- International Relations and Diplomacy (4 academic years)
- English Language Teaching (4 academic years)
- Mathematics Education (4 academic years)
- Physics Education (4 academic years)
- Biology Education (4 academic years)
- Information Technology (4 academic years)
Internationalization at ISHIK University
In the following, some measures taken by Ishik University to increase the internationalization at all levels are described.
- Employing International Staff
There are more than 80 international staff working in both academic and non-academic positions, being from various countries such as Turkey, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, India and USA.
- Enrollment of International Students
The rules and regulations of ISHIK University allow international students from any country to join any study programme within the University. In the academic year 2015-2016, the number of international students studying at Ishik University reached 100 students.
- Applying International Standards such as ISO 9001:2008
In 2014, the University Council decided to implement ISO 9001:2008 standard at ISHIK University which sets out the criteria for a Quality Management System and which is implemented by over one million companies and organizations over 170 countries. For two years, the documents and the requirements were prepared and fulfilled till finally the external auditors certified Ishik University on June 4, 2015. In addition to increasing the quality within the University, ISO 9001:2008 helps to have access to more memorandums and cooperation with other national and international universities and organizations.
- Applying Bologna Process
Ishik University has implemented many parts (but yet not all) of Bologna Process such as:
- Credit System
- Some Structural Reforms
- Internal Quality Assurance
- External Quality Assurance
- Academic Mobility
- Values and Fundamental Principles
- Students Exchange Programmes
International Relations Office (IRO) was established at ISHIK University in 2013. IRO is a unit which furthers and supports the exchange of students between the higher education institutions of other countries. So far 22 students from different departments have utilized the Exchange Programme.
Teaching Language and Credit System
Teaching language at ISHIK University is English, except the law programme which is based on Arabic language. Also Ishik University has adopted ECTS (the European Credit Transfer System) to assess the achievement of expected learning outcomes. At Ishik the academic year is divided into two main terms: fall and spring.
Universities in Collaboration with ISHIK University
ISHIK University has signed memorandums with 53 universities in various countries such as: Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cambodia, Cyprus, Georgia, Germany, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Poland, Romania, Turkey and USA.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ishik University.|