|Federal Minister for Transport, Innovation and Technology|
18 May 2016
|Preceded by||Gerald Klug|
|Regional Minister for Transport, Innovation and Technology for Styria|
23 June 2015 – 18 May 2016
|Preceded by||Gerhard Kurzmann|
|Succeeded by||Anton Lang|
|Member of the European Parliament|
13 June 2004 – 23 June 2015
18 June 1967 |
Bruck an der Mur, Austria
|Political party|| Austrian:
Social Democratic Party
Party of European Socialists
Jörg Leichtfried (born 18 June 1967 in Bruck an der Mur, Styria) is an Austrian politician who currently serves as Federal Minister for Transport, Innovation and Technology in the government of Chancellor Christian Kern.
- Studied jurisprudence (graduated 1994)
- 1995-1999: Legal officer, Styrian Chamber of Labour
- 1998-2004: Departmental head, citizens' advice service, Bruck and der Mur's City council
- 1994-2000: Regional Vice-Chairman of the Styria Young Socialists
- 1999: Austrian Parliament candidate, Styria Young Socialists
- 2000-2002: Federal Chairman of the Austrian Young Socialists
- since 2000: Regional Party Vice-Chairman of the Styria SPÖ
Member of the European Parliament, 2004–2015
Leichtfried was first elected a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) with the SPÖ, part of the Socialist Group, in the 2004 European elections. During his time in parliament, he serveds on the European Parliament's Committee on Transport and Tourism. In this capacity, he was the Parliament’s rapporteur on the European Aviation Safety Agency (2007) and on the cross-border admission of heavy haulers (2014), among other dossiers.
In addition, Leichtfried was a substitute for the Committee on International Trade, a member of the Delegation for relations with the countries of the Andean Community and a substitute for the Delegation for relations with the countries of Central America. He was also a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals and of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Digital Agenda.
Federal Minister of Transport, 2016–present
Under his leadership, Austria announced plans in March 2017 to file a legal challenge at the European Court of Justice against plans by Germany to introduce a road toll for foreign-registered cars using German highways.
- Lorraine Mallinder (October 17, 2007), Aviation agency stuck on runway European Voice.
- Members European Parliament Intergroup on the Digital Agenda.
- Kirsti Knolle, Francois Murphy, Michelle Martin and Paul Carrel (March 31, 2017), Austria to file legal challenge against German highway toll Reuters.
- Personal profile of Jörg Leichtfried in the European Parliament's database of members
- Declaration (PDF) of financial interests (German)
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from Austria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|