J. Michael Cook
J. Michael Cook is the former Chairman and CEO of Deloitte & Touche, LLP and currently serves as a member of the GAO Accountability Advisory Panel, and also serves on numerous corporate and civic boards.
Cook is an honors graduate of the University of Florida. While an undergraduate, he became a member of Delta Tau Delta. He graduated with a BSBA degree in 1964, and was named a distinguished alumnus of the university in 1986.
CEO of Deloitte & Touche
Cook became a managing partner of Deloitte Haskins Sells in 1984. In 1986, J. Michael Cook succeeded Charles Steele as chairman and chief executive of Deloitte Haskins & Sells. During his tenure as CEO, Cook helped architect the merger of Deloitte, Haskins, & Sells with Touche Ross in 1989. He became CEO of the new Deloitte & Touche in 1989.
Other notable work
Cook has chaired the audit committees at Burt's Bees, Comcast Corporation and Eli Lilly & Co. He has also served as Chairman of United Way of Tri-State, on the Board of Overseers at Business School, the Board of Trustees of the University of Miami, and is a past Chairman of the Board of Governors of the United Way of America.
Cook has an endowed professorship named after him at his Alma mater, the University of Florida. The J. Michael Cook/Deloitte Professorship Fund is awarded to professors in the Warrington College of Business Administration.
- Chief Executive Officer Recognition Award from Women in Technology International - Working Mother Magazine's Family Champion of the Year Award - Director's Alert 2002 Outstanding Director in Corporate America - The John J. McCloy Award of the Public Oversight Board for contributions to excellence in auditing
- "History: 1970-1990". Deloitte. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Alison Leigh Cower (1989-12-05). "Deloitte Touche Merger Done". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Emily Chasan (2012-03-20). "A Good Auditor is Hard to Find". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "Biography of J. Michael Cook" (PDF). Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "J. Michael Cook/Deloitte Professorship Fund". University of Florida. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "Top Accounting Ph.D. Candidates Attend 42nd Annual Doctoral Consortium Sponsored by Deloitte Foundation". inAudit. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "Bloomberg". Retrieved 17 January 2017.