|We Can Be Heroes, Summer Heights High, Ja'mie: Private School Girl character|
|Created by||Chris Lilley|
|Portrayed by||Chris Lilley|
|Family||Marcus King (father)
Jhyll King (mother)
Courtney Eliza King (sister)
Jamie Louise "Ja'mie" King (// jə-MAY) is a fictional character from Australian comedy series We Can Be Heroes: Finding The Australian of the Year, Summer Heights High and Ja'mie: Private School Girl, portrayed by actor Chris Lilley. Ja'mie is aged 17 and lives in Kirribilli in the upper class North Shore region of Sydney, New South Wales, but was born in South Africa.
Lilley portrays Ja'mie as the stunning but atrocious, narcissistic and callous high school girl in Year 11 at Hillford Girls' Grammar School, a fictional private school on Sydney's North Shore. The character was developed by Lilley with the assistance of comedian Ryan Shelton. Lilley developed the character's mannerisms by using recorded interviews with private schoolgirls and also eavesdropping. Lilley states that he didn't want teenage girls to watch it and think "that's such an older guy's view of teenagers".
We Can Be Heroes
Lilley introduces the character as a 16-year-old student in Sydney who attends Hillford Girls' Grammar and is one of several nominees for the Australian of the Year Award.
Summer Heights High
Lilley reprises his role of Ja'mie King, a private school exchange student, in the show Summer Heights High broadcast first on 5 September 2007. Like Lilley's portrayal of Ja'mie in We Can be Heroes, At one point offering the dubious advice to be "fake-nice" to everyone.
Ja'mie: Private School Girl
Lilley once again reprises his role of Ja'mie in the show Ja'mie: Private School Girl, first broadcast on 23 October 2013. Advertisements for the show continued to describe the character as "bitch". In the show, Ja'mie is experiencing her final year at school as a private school girl.
Episode 2 shows the inside of a hall which was filmed in Keysborough, Victoria at Haileybury College. The framed portrait photos on the wall show the past Haileybury principals however for purposes of the show, new portraits were created and put in the frames. Haileybury's logo was also modified for the show, replacing the castle with a flower as well as some other changes.
- Chris, Lilley (23 October 2013). "Episode1". Ja'mie: Private School Girl. Series 1. Episode 1. Event occurs at 21:57 (27 minutes long). Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Greg Hassall, 27 July 2005. "Local Heroes". The Age, Retrieved on 12 August 2009
- Dewi Cooke. 27 October 2007. "It's just, like, you know, like, really really funny". The Age, Retrieved on 12 August 2009
- Downie, Stephen; Casey, Marcus, 20 September 2007. "Meet Chris Lilley – the man behind the comic creations". Retrieved on 12 August 2009
- Nicole Brady, 21 July 2005. "Face Value". The Age, Retrieved on 12 August 2009
- "This Week On TVOne". Retrieved on 12 August 2009
- "Summer Heights High's Ja'mie King goes back to school for BBC Three". British Broadcasting Corporation. 8 September 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- Lewis, Maria (8 September 2013). "Chris Lilley reprises role of Ja'mie King in new series on ABC". News.com.au. Retrieved 8 September 2013.