Jack Guy Lafontant
Jack Guy Lafontant
|20th Prime Minister of Haiti|
21 March 2017 – 17 September 2018
|Preceded by||Enex Jean-Charles|
|Succeeded by||Jean-Henry Céant|
|Born||4 April 1961|
|Political party||Democratic Movement of Haiti – Democratic Rally of Haiti|
|Alma mater||State University of Haiti|
Early life and education
Lafontant studied medicine, specializing in gastroenterology and internal medicine and became a university instructor. He became a member of the Haitian Medical Association and the American College of Gastroenterology.
He was appointed as prime minister on 22 February 2017 and presented his cabinet on 13 March 2017. His government obtained a vote of confidence from the Senate on 16 March and from the Chamber of Deputies on 21 March, with 95 votes for and 6 against with 2 abstentions. He assumed his responsibilities the same day his government won the vote of confidence. His position as prime minister is his debut in political life.
Following deadly mass protests against a botched government plan to raise fuel prices, Lafontant announced on 14 July 2018 that he had submitted his resignation to President Moïse, who accepted it. Lafontant's resignation also occurred shortly before a vote of no confidence was to be held in Parliament. Moise confirmed that he had accepted Lafontant's resignation and stated that he would work to find a new Prime Minister. He actually serves as caretaker.
- service, VOA Creole. "Haitian Lawmakers Confirm Lafontant as Prime Minister". Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- "Haiti Prime Minister Jack Guy Lafontant resigns". BBC News. 15 July 2018. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- RFI: A la Une: Jack Guy Lafontant, Désigné Nouveau Premier Ministre d’Haïti (in French)
- "President Moise taps friend, unknown Dr. Lafontant to be PM - Haiti Sentinel". sentinel.ht. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Loop Haiti: Composition du Cabinet Ministériel de Jack Guy Lafontant (in French)
- Loop Haiti: Jack Guy Lafontant est Désormais Premier Ministre (in French)
- VOA Afrique: Le Cabinet de Jack Guy Lafontant Entre en Fonction en Haïti (in French)
- RTBF Info: Jack Guy Lafontant, Médecin Inconnu, Devient Premier Ministre en Haïti (in French)
- "Haiti PM Jack Guy Lafontant resigns after days of protests". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- "Haiti's Prime Minister Resigns After Riots Over Fuel Price Hike". Retrieved 15 July 2018.
| Prime Minister of Haiti