Jack O'Shea's is an award-winning international Irish butcher chain located in London and in the European district of Brussels, selling organic fresh meat. The chain was formerly located in Selfridges, but had its contract terminated in 2012 after breaking the store's ethical code on selling foie gras.
Jack O'Shea (born Cathal O'Shea) is descended from eight generations of Irish butchers, but could not find an outlet to sell high-quality produce. In 1998, he opened his own butcher's shop in Brussels, which quickly became one of the most popular shops in the region. In 2006, he opened a second shop in Knightsbridge, London, run by his brother and co-owner Darragh O'Shea.
Both sell high-quality meat, including grass-fed Black Angus beef from farms and abattoirs in southwest Ireland and has been listed 3rd in The Guardian 's top ten meat suppliers. Jack O'Shea has also appeared in Hello!, GQ, The Observer and The Telegraph Magazine
In November 2008, O'Shea's opened a counter in Selfridges food hall, on Oxford Street. In 2009, former James Bond star Sir Roger Moore led a campaign to stop Selfridges selling foie gras, the French delicacy created by force-feeding geese enriched corn meal. In the run-up to Christmas 2011, a customer spotted the O'Shea's counter in Selfridges selling foie gras. Investigated by the Evening Standard, it exposed that if a customer approached the O'Shea's counter and asked for "French fillet", then 750g packets of foie gras were supplied at a cost of £39.40. Jack O'Shea himself was ejected from the store on Christmas Eve, stating that: "I will probably lose my business over it but I couldn't give a damn. My conscience is clear. Stuffing a goose with grain is like stuffing me with Guinness. It has been totally blown out of proportion." The counter was closed from O'Shea's ejection, and the contract terminated in February 2012, for failing "to adhere to exacting best practice standards in hygiene and food safety". As of early 2013 the Montpelier Street shop has been shut down. The landlord has forfeited the lease and the shop is now completely stripped bare. No information in the window about whether the business is trading elsewhere.
- Hills, Suzannah (18 February 2012). "Celebrity butcher sacked after selling banned foie gras under the counter to customers who knew secret codeword". Daily Mail. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Synon, M. E. (20 February 2012). "Butcher fired over under-the-counter deals would be sacked in any reasonable world for NOT selling foie gras". Daily Mail. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Bareham, Lindsey (26 June 2008). "The Times 'Master Class': Rare steaks, uncommonly good". The Times (London). Retrieved 31 August 2008.[dead link]
- "The top 10: Meat suppliers". The Guardian. 18 November 2007. Retrieved 31 August 2008.
- "Media". Jack O'Shea. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Howie, Michael (17 February 2012). "Sacked, Selfridges butcher who sold foie gras under the counter". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- Carluccio, Antonio (14 November 2009). "Best Butcher: Jack O'Shea's". The Independent. Retrieved 21 February 2012.