Jade Jones (athlete)
Jade Jones in Rio 2016
4 January 1996 |
|Coached by||Tanni Grey-Thompson / Ian Thompson|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||400 m: 55.91
800 m: 1:51.55
1500 m: 3:25.07
5000 m: 11:56.31
Jones was born in Middlesbrough, England in 1996. She was born with a missing femur. Jones is a former pupil of Ormesby School in Middlesbrough and Prior Pursglove College in Guisborough, and began studying Law at the University of Teesside in September 2014.
Jones was invited by wheelchair athlete, Tanni Grey-Thompson and her husband (and personal coach) Ian Thompson, to try out a racing chair during a school sports day visit. Within a few weeks Jones was training under Grey-Thompson and began entering competitive sport meets in 2009. Competing in sprint racing and long distance events, Jones trained with the New Markse club. In 2011 she competed in the IPC Athletics World Championships in New Zealand. She finished 5th in T54 200m race.
Jones recorded personal bests in the 400 m, 800 m and 1500 m in 2012, and qualified in all three events for the 2012 Summer Paralympics. Jones failed to qualify for the finals in both the 400 m and 800 m, finishing sixth and fifth respectively. In the 1500 m she qualified through finishing 5th in the preliminary heat, but failed to medal, coming last in the finals three seconds behind the winner Tatyana McFadden of the United States.
In 2013, Jones qualified for the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon. She raced in the T54 classification distance races, reaching the finals of the 400 m, 800 m, 1500 m and 5000 m. Her best finish was fourth in the 400 m.
In 2014 Jones won her first major international medals, whilst representing Great Britain at the IPC European Championships in Swansea. She took silver in the 800m along with a bronze in the 5,000m. Jones completed the year by winning a silver in the T54 women's race at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. In July 2016 it was announced that Jones had been selected for her second Paralympics, in Rio.
|2013||Reading Half Marathon||Reading, United Kingdom||1st||Half marathon||1:09:11|
- "Jade Jones". paralympics.org.uk. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Jade Jones". thepowerof10.info. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Women's 1500m - T54". london2012.com. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Tatyana McFadden wins six from six in Paralympic clean sweep in Lyon". guardian.co.uk. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- McGurick, Bill (7 August 2014). "Two silver and two bronze - a great return from the Commonwealth Games". chroniclelive.co.uk. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Paralympics GB Track and Field Line-up Confirmed for Rio 2016". paralympics.org.uk. 26 June 2016. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Half Marathon" (PDF). Brasher Leisure Ltd T/A Sweatshop. Retrieved 2013-03-18.