James Craig (police chief)
James E. Craig (born 1956) is the head of the Detroit Police Department. He has served in this capacity since 2013. At times Craig has gained widespread attention for his defense of the right of city residents to own guns.
Craig was raised in Detroit and graduated from Cass Tech High School. He first joined the Detroit Police force in 1977 until 1981. He was laid off that year and went to Los Angeles to work for the LAPD. From 2009 to 2011 he was police chief in Portland, Maine. From 2011 to 2013 he was chief of police in Cincinnati, Ohio. During his tenure with the Cincinnati Police Department, he changed the rank structure, retired the white police uniforms for navy blue uniforms and temporarily removed hats on patrol.
He was originally appointed police chief by Detroit emergency manager Kevyn Orr.
When Craig took over as police chief he was replacing Chester Logan, who had held the position on an interim basis since the previous October when Ralph Godbee, who was fired for having sexual relations with a subordinate.
In January 2016 Craig was also designated as Detroit's deputy mayor.
As police chief Craig has initiated Project Green Light to provide police live stream of videos to businesses to better respond to crimes there. He has also initiated programs to cut gang membership and large scale sweeps aimed at finding people with outstanding warrants.
- "Former Portland police chief named top cop in Detroit - CentralMaine.com". centralmaine.com. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "Detroit police chief James Craig says more citizens should be armed | Fox News". foxnews.com. January 3, 2014. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "Police Chief James Craig Says What Detroit Needs Is More Guns | The Huffington Post". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "Detroit Police Chief James Craig defends 'urban terrorist' comment". mlive.com. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "Police chief says armed Detroit would cut terror risk | Detroit News". detroitnews.com. December 1, 2015. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- Daily Detroit Staff. "Police Chief James Craig Designated As Detroit's Deputy Mayor". dailydetroit.com. Retrieved 2017-03-26.