|Birth name||Jesús Álvarez|
December 28, 1951 |
|Origin||Orange, New Jersey|
|Genres||Jesus music, Christian R&B, CCM, worship|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, worship leader|
|Instruments||vocals, acoustic guitar|
|Labels||Light, Instruments of War|
|Associated acts||Shirley & Company, Brother to Brother|
Jason Alvarez (born December 28, 1951, as Jesús Álvarez) is a Cuban-born American Christian musician, worship leader, guitarist, and pastor, who primarily plays a Jesus music style of music. He has released eight studio albums and two extended play, during the solo part of his career, mostly with Instruments of War or independently.
Jason Alvarez was born in Havana, Cuba, on December 28, 1951, as Jesús Álvarez. He was raised in Cuba, until 1959, when his mother removed him from church, heading to the U.S. Embassy, where they were placed on a freedom flight. While they got to the United States, Alvarez was reared in Newark, New Jersey around other family members in the slums, for a decade. He was part of the band Brother to Brother, playing shows at clubs, where he came in contact with the woman who would become his wife, Gale. He joined Shirley & Company, after his departure from Brother to Brother, where he was their background vocalist, on such hits as "Shame, Shame, Shame". After all this fame, Alvarez was left in a depression caused by financial problems, when he made a suicide attempt, however, it was unsuccessful, for at his wife's urging he became a confessed believer in Jesus Christ. He went from that moment to become an ordained minister on February 20, 1982, when his wife and himself started The Love of Jesus Family Church in Orange, New Jersey, where they now reside. This conversion facilitated Alvarez becoming a Jesus music artist.
His solo music recording career began in 1981, with the album, Just Give Me Jesus, that was released by Light Records. His next two album, The Lord Is a Man of War in 1989 and No Turning Back in 1991, were released by Instruments of War Records. The next five albums were all independently released, His Unfailing Love in 2003, All Yours: Live Worship in 2009, Pure Worship in 2012, Intimacy between Two Just You and God in 2013, and Time for Miracles in 2015. He released two extended plays independently, We Will Glorify in 2007 and Better Than Medicine in 2012.
- Just Give Me Jesus (1981)
- The Lord Is a Man of War (1989)
- No Turning Back (1991)
- His Unfailing Love (2003)
- All Yours: Live Worship (2009)
- Pure Worship (2012)
- Intimacy between Two Just You and God (2013)
- Time for Miracles (2015)
- We Will Glorify (2007)
- Better Than Medicine (2012)
- AllMusic. "Jesus Alvarez : Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Cummings, Tony (July 19, 2015). "Jason Alvarez: An amazing journey from "Shame" to a 'Time For Miracles'". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Conner, Matt. "No More Shame: After the Exhilarating Highs & Desperate Lows of World Renown, Jason Alvarez Only Needed Jesus to Turn Shane and Crying Into Sweet Redemption". CCM Magazine. pp. 20–4. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- The First Cathedral (March 20, 2011). "Pastor Jason Alvarez". The First Cathedral Church. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Cross Rhythms. "Jason Alvarez Artist Profile". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved August 18, 2015.