Brinkley with the Giants in 2016
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||July 12, 1985|
|Place of birth:||Thomson, Georgia|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school:||Thomson (GA)|
|NFL Draft:||2009 / Round: 5 / Pick: 150|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 16, 2015|
Jasper Jerrell Brinkley (born July 12, 1985) is an American football middle linebacker who is currently a free agent. He played college football for the University of South Carolina and was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fifth round of 2009 NFL Draft. He has also played for the Arizona Cardinals and New York Giants.
Brinkley attended the University of South Carolina, where he played for the South Carolina Gamecocks football team as junior college transfer from Georgia Military College alongside his twin brother Casper. He started 29 of 30 games. He finished his career with 298 total tackles, 27.5 sacks, 30.5 tackles for a loss and 10 interceptions. As a senior, Brinkley captured All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) first-team honors as he started all but 1 game for the Gamecocks and ranked 2nd on the squad with 73 tackles.
After the end of the 2008 season, Brinkley was selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game and was a participant at the 2009 NFL Combine in Indianapolis. He was selected by the Vikings in the 5th round of 2009 NFL Draft (150th overall), on June 30 Brinkley signed a 4-year contract with Minnesota. Brinkley projected to serve as the backup to E. J. Henderson at middle linebacker. His spot on the depth chart was confirmed when Henderson went down with an injury to his femur after a collision with teammate Jamarca Sanford in week 13 at Arizona. Brinkley stepped into the game in the fourth quarter, recording five tackles for negative 4 yards on Arizona running back Tim Hightower.
On December 13, 2009 (week 14), Brinkley made his first start against the Cincinnati Bengals. He recorded 7 tackles en route to a 30-10 victory over the Bengals. Brinkley has had a very close, apprentice-like relationship with Henderson who mentored him as a rookie throughout training camp and his first professional season, even quizzing him while watching film together.
On December 20 (week 15), Brinkley started against the Carolina Panthers in a devastating 7-26 loss. He performed admirably, recording 12 tackles (including 5 tackles of Panther's running-back Jonathan Stewart: a 14-yard loss, a tackle for no gain, and another for only a 1-yard gain) and 2 forced fumbles, the first of his career.
On December 28 against the Chicago Bears, the Vikings suffered a crushing 36-30 loss - their second in a row to a team that was not in playoff contention. Brinkley had 9 tackles, helping the defense to hold Chicago running-back Matt Forte to only 52 yards.
He was released by the Arizona Cardinals on February 28, 2014.
Second Stint with Vikings
On March 12, 2015, Brinkley signed a two-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys, as insurance in case the team couldn't re-sign Rolando McClain. During training camp he was passed on the depth chart by other linebackers. Even though his contract included $2 million guaranteed in earnings, he was released on September 7 to make room for offensive tackle Jordan Mills.
New York Giants
On September 9, 2015, Brinkley was signed by the New York Giants. Brinkley became a free agent after the 2015 season. On March 29, 2016, he re-signed with the Giants. On September 5, 2016, he was released by the Giants.
- Gamecocks Have Seven Selected in NFL Draft
- Thomson's Brinkley Brothers ready for professional football season to begin
- NFL Draft Player Profiles - Jasper Brinkley
- Gamecocks Send Three to All-Star Games
- Six Gamecocks at NFL Combine
- Vikings Sign 5th Round Pick Jasper Brinkley
- "Fines roundup: Tim Dobbins of Texans fined for Jay Cutler hit". National Football League. 2012-11-16. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- Cards Nab Jasper Brinkley
- Patra, Kevin (March 9, 2014). "Report: Minnesota Vikings sign LB Jasper Brinkley". NFL.com. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- Eisen, Michael (September 9, 2015). "Giants sign LB Jasper Brinkley, add 2 to practice squad". Giants.com. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Eisen, Michael (March 29, 2016). "Giants re-sign LB Jasper Brinkley". Giants.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Jackson, Zac (September 5, 2016). "Josh Johnson signs with Giants". profootballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved September 5, 2016.