Jazz on a Summer's Day
|Jazz on a Summer's Day|
|Directed by||Bert Stern|
|Written by||Albert D'Annibale|
|Edited by||Aram Avakian|
|Distributed by||Galaxy Attractions|
New Yorker Films (theatrical rerelease, VHS, and DVD)
|August 1959 (Venice Film Festival)|
Jazz on a Summer's Day is a concert film set at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival  in Rhode Island, directed by commercial and fashion photographer Bert Stern and Aram Avakian , who also edited the film. The Columbia Records jazz producer, George Avakian, was the musical director of the film.
The film mixes images of water and the city with the performers and audience at the festival. It also features scenes of the 1958 America's Cup yacht races. The film is largely without dialog or narration (except for periodic announcements by emcee Willis Conover).
The film features performances by Jimmy Giuffre; Thelonious Monk; Sonny Stitt; Anita O'Day; Dinah Washington; Gerry Mulligan; Chuck Berry; Chico Hamilton, with Eric Dolphy; and Louis Armstrong, with Jack Teagarden. Also appearing are Buck Clayton, Jo Jones, Armando Peraza, and Eli's Chosen Six, the Yale College student ensemble that included trombonist Roswell Rudd, shown driving around Newport in a convertible jalopy, playing Dixieland.
As was scheduled in advance and announced in the program, the last performer Saturday night was Mahalia Jackson, who sang a one-hour program beginning at midnight, thus ushering in Sunday morning. The film concluded with her performance of The Lord's Prayer.
- Jimmy Giuffre 3: Jimmy Giuffre, Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall
- Thelonious Monk Trio: Thelonious Monk, Henry Grimes, Roy Haynes
- Sonny Stitt and Sal Salvador
- Anita O'Day
- George Shearing
- Dinah Washington
- Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Art Farmer
- Big Maybelle
- Chuck Berry
- Chico Hamilton Quintet with Eric Dolphy
- Louis Armstrong and his All-Stars: Trummy Young, Danny Barcelona, and Jack Teagarden
- Mahalia Jackson
- Ray Charles
- Rotten Tomatoes
- "a l b a n y j a z z . c o m". Albanyjazz.com. 2005-11-05. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Newport Jazz Festival Immortalized-WSJ
- “Jazz on a Summer’s Day” 60th Anniversary Edition Out Now - JAZZIZ Magazine