Jazz on a Summer's Day
|Jazz on a Summer's Day|
|Directed by||Aram Avakian
|Written by||Albert D'Annibale
|Edited by||Aram Avakian|
|Distributed by||New Yorker Films (theatrical rerelease, VHS, and DVD)|
Jazz on a Summer's Day (1960) is a documentary film set at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island, directed by commercial and fashion photographer Bert Stern. The Columbia Records jazz producer, George Avakian, was the musical director of the film.
The film mixes images of water and the city with the performers and audience at the festival. It also features scenes of the 1958 America's Cup yacht races. The film is largely without dialog or narration (except for periodic announcements by emcee Willis Conover).
The film features performances by Jimmy Giuffre, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Stitt, Anita O'Day, Dinah Washington, Gerry Mulligan, Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, and Jack Teagarden. Also appearing are Buck Clayton, Jo Jones, Armando Peraza, and Eli's Chosen Six, the Yale College student ensemble that included trombonist Roswell Rudd, shown driving around Newport in a convertible jalopy, playing Dixieland.
- Jimmy Giuffre 3: Jimmy Giuffre, Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall
- Thelonious Monk Trio: Thelonious Monk, Henry Grimes, Roy Haynes
- Sonny Stitt and Sal Salvador
- Anita O'Day
- George Shearing
- Dinah Washington
- Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Art Farmer
- Big Maybelle
- Chuck Berry
- Chico Hamilton Quintet
- Louis Armstrong and his All-Stars: Trummy Young, Danny Barcelona, and Jack Teagarden
- Mahalia Jackson
The film was also re-released in 2001 by Charly Records and sold with an audio CD of the music and some of the commentary. ASIN: B00005NX0L
- "a l b a n y j a z z . c o m". Albanyjazz.com. 2005-11-05. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Jazz on a Summer's Day" by Alan Kurtz (Jazz.com)
- Jazz on a Summer's Day at the Internet Movie Database
- Yanow, Scott. 2004. Jazz on Film: The Complete Story of the Musicians and Music Onscreen. (Backbeat Books) ISBN 0-87930-783-8