|Member of the Iowa Senate
from the 30th district
2013 – Present
|Preceded by||Pat Ward|
|Member of the Iowa Senate
from the 10th district
2005 – 2013 (Redistricted)
|Preceded by||Merlin Bartz|
|Succeeded by||Jake Chapman|
|President Pro Tempore of the Iowa Senate|
August 6, 1970 |
|Alma mater||Hawkeye Community College (A.A.);
University of Northern Iowa (B.A., M.P.P.)
Jeff Danielson (born August 6, 1970) is a Democrat Iowa State Senator serving Iowa Senate District 30 (previously Iowa Senate District 10 prior to redistricting).
Danielson currently serves on following committees: Appropriations (Vice Chair), Economic Growth, State Government (Chair), Transportation, Veterans Affairs (Vice Chair), and the Administration and Regulation Appropriations Subcommittee (Vice Chair). Permanent statutory committees he serves on include: Public Retirement Systems and State Government Efficiency Review. Danielson additionally serves on the Iowa Capital Investment Board.
His prior public service experience includes experience as the Commissioner of the Iowa Department of Transportation and the Waterloo Planning, Programming, and Zoning Commission. He is a U.S. Navy veteran and serves the community of Cedar Falls as a professional firefighter.
Danielson was first elected in 2004 with 16,712 votes (54%), defeating Republican opponent Frank Dowie. He was re-elected in 2008 with 16,103 votes. He defeated his opponent, Republican Walt Rogers, by only 22 votes, following administrative recounts in two precincts and a district-wide recount.
Due to redistricting, most of Iowa Senate District 10 became District 30 in the 2012 election and became effective on January 13, 2013.
More recently Danielson has been exploring the legalization of online poker in the state of Iowa. The most recent legislation signed by Governor Terry Branstad explores the online gaming by instructing Iowa's Racing and Gaming Commission to submit a report on the issue.
As Vice-Chair of the Veterans Affairs committee and a veteran of the United States Navy, Danielson is a consistent advocate for pro-veteran legislation.
Danielson previously served as President Pro Tempore of the Iowa Senate from 2006–2012.
- "Iowa Secretary of State - Paul D. Pate" (PDF). Sos.state.ia.us. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Iowa Secretary of State - Paul D. Pate" (PDF). Sos.state.ia.us. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- Bureau, ROD BOSHART, Lee-Gazette Des Moines. "Online poker would let Native American casinos expand, regulator says". Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Senator Jeff Danielson official Iowa Legislature site
- Senator Jeff Danielson official Iowa General Assembly site
- State Senator Jeff Danielson official constituency site
- Jeff Danielson for Iowa State Senate official campaign site
- Profile at Project Vote Smart