Jerry Bergonzi at Concert
|Birth name||Jerry Bergonzi|
October 21, 1947 |
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|Genres||Jazz, Hard Bop|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, Composer, Educator|
|Instruments||tenor saxophone, piano|
|Associated acts||Dave Brubeck|
|Website||Jerry Bergonzi Official Site|
Jerry Bergonzi (born October 21, 1947 in Boston, Massachusetts) is a jazz tenor saxophonist, composer, and educator. Bergonzi received a B.A. Degree in Music Education from the University of Massachusetts Lowell in 1971 and is the founder of Not Fat Records. He has recorded extensively for Double-Time Records.
He first gained recognition as he became a frequent guest-artist on several Dave Brubeck ensemble tours and recordings during the 1970s, and he held the saxophone chair in the Dave Brubeck quartet from 1979 - 1982. Bergonzi recorded nine albums with Brubeck, from 1973 to 1981.
He is the author of Inside Improvisation, a multi-volume series of instructional books with play-along CDs and videos, and another series of books about improvisation published by Advance Music. He is also the author of the book/CD set Sound Advice, published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz. Bergonzi is also a professional level pianist and bass guitarist.
Bergonzi plays a mouthpiece by Aaron Drake (Drake "Jerry Bergonzi" Signature Mouthpiece).
- Two Generations of Brubeck  (1973) with Dave Brubeck
- Brother, the Great Spirit Made Us All (1974) with Dave Brubeck
- Back Home  (1979) Concord Records with Dave Brubeck
- Tritonis  (1980) Concord with Dave Brubeck
- To Hope! A Celebration By Dave Brubeck (A Mass in the Revised Roman Ritual) - Original now out-of-print 1980 recording conducted by Erich Kunzel (Pastoral Arts Associates (PAA) LP record DRP-8318).
- Paper Moon  (1982) Concord Records with Dave Brubeck
- Lineage (Red, 1989) with Mulgrew Miller, Adam Nussbaum, Dave Santoro
- Inside Out with Salvatore Bonafede, Bruce Gertz, Salvatore Tranchini, 1989
- Standard Gonz (Blue Note, 1991) with Joey Calderazzo, Dave Santoro, and Adam Nussbaum
- TILT (Red, 1991) with Andy Laverne, Salvatore Bonafede, Bruce Gertz and Salvatore Tranchini
- ETC Plus One (Red, 1993) with Steve La Spina, Fred Hersch, Jeff Hirschfield
- Vertical Reality (Musidisc, 1995) with Billy Hart, Andy LaVerne, George Mraz, Mike Stern
- Just Within with Adam Nussbaum, Dan Wall, 1996
- On Again (Ram Records, 1996) with Mick Goodrick, Bruce Gertz, Adam Nussbaum
- Together Again for the First Time (Red, 1997) with Victor Lewis, Bobby Watson
- Lost in the Shuffle (Double-Time, 1998) with Adam Nussbaum, Dan Wall
- Fast Company (Blue Jackel, 1998) with Joey Calderazzo, Lars Danielsson, Jukkis Uotila
- Wiggy (Double Time, 1999) with Adam Nussbaum, Dan Wall
- A Different Look (Double Time, 2001) with Adam Nussbaum, Dan Wall
- Dreaming Out Loud (Whaling City Sound, 2003) with Bob Kaufman, Bruce Gertz
- Tenor of the Times with Renato Chicco, Dave Santoro, 2006
- Tenorist (Savant, 2006) with John Abercrombie, Dave Santoro, Adam Nussbaum
- Tenor Talk (Savant, 2008)
- Saxology (SteepleChase, 2009) with Dick Oatts, Dave Santoro, Tom Melito
- Three Point Shot (Intuition, 2009) with Piotr Lemanczyk, Jacek Kochan
- Simply Put (Savant, 2009) with Bruce Barth, Dave Santoro, Andrea Michelutti
- Three for All (Savant, 2010) with Dave Santoro, Andrea Michelutti
- Convergence (Savant, 2011) with Bruce Barth, Dave Santoro, Andrea Michelutti
- Shifting Gears (Savant, 2012) with Phil Grenadier, Bruce Barth, Dave Santoro, Andrea Michelutti
- By Any Other Name (Savant, 2013)
- "Jazz Departments: Jerry Bergonzi : Living and Learning - By Chris Kelsey — Jazz Articles". jazztimes.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Jerry Bergonzi". New England Conservatory of Music. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Miller, Mark (November 5, 1998). "Jazz review: Jerry Bergonzi, with the Brian Dickinson Trio". Globe & Mail [Toronto, Canada].
- "Bergonzi's Recording Credits With Dave Brubeck". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2010-11-14.